Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cold weather - everyone ok?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:24 pm 

We got up to 60° last night, with a bunch of rain that melted almost all of the 7-8" of snow we got last Friday, when it got down to 8°. And tonight, it is supposed to get down to 7°, and only up to 12° for a high tomorrow! Weird weather....

And I still have some of those Asian greens under cover out there, after the one bout with single digit temps. I was amazed when I checked them out this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 pm 

We are an hour south of Fuzzy. We do have a guest room...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:26 am 

- 10º as of this morning. I'm not sure if it got colder than that during the night. Saturday is supposed to be 38º. Practically a heat wave!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 am 

As a kid growing up in the Midwest I got minor frostbite of the hands a few times.
Never really noticed any effects of it until the times when I'm having to root around in the back of the freezer for something I can't find; that's when I feel it...my fingers burn something awful! When I plan ahead now, I slip on a pair of gloves before I forage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 am 

-12 in Toledo right now. I made it to work but many people did not. I work in a hospital so we are classified as "essential" and are "permitted" to drive during a level 3 snow emergency. Yippee.
I have a friend who moved here from North Dakota and he has never heard of snow emergencies and not being able to be on the road. He says, "in North Dakota, you need to go somewhere, ya just go".....

Karen

Another snow emergency phenomenon, I went to the grocery store Sunday before things got bad and OMG, people were going crazy. Everything was gone, bananas, carrots, everything. I went down the can goods aisle and people were grabbing items by the handful.....and then I found myself doing the same thing...grabbing, almost uncontrollably items that I did not even need....I then moved to the meat and threw a ham, turkey, and many other things in my cart......I was caught in the frenzy....I guess I have to blame this on the blizzard of 1978, when we actually did run out of food at our house. I remember eating spaghetti o's out of the can because no one stocked up back then........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 am 

Very cold here today (-39 with wind chill) and all school buses were cancelled. I was going to drive the boys to their buses as the stops are too far, so it saved me from having to wait. I am working from home and going in soon. Oldest wanted to go ice skating at an outdoor park with friends. :shock: "ummmm, no!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:35 am 

I could never relate to these people running out to get food at the mere threat of snow. While growing up, we didn't have a lot, but always had a freezer and pantry stocked when things were on sale, or, back then more than now, when things were in season.

Most of us cookaholics stock a bunch of food, so if we're snowed in, we can cook to our heart's content! I started some bread last night, figuring that this weather would be good baking weather! And later, some long simmered soup, to eat with that bread.

It was 5° when I got up today. I consider myself lucky when I see some of the other temps around the country!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am 

Dave, that sounds like a good day to me. I'm going to make this later
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ ... lic/print/
It's not a long simmer, but I thought it sounded good.
What bread are you making today? I am anxious to try your rye bread soon!

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:58 am 

This global warming thing is killin me... :roll:

Good news is that after a low today of 18 it will be in the 50's tomorrow. We call that a Mexican forecast...Chili today, and hot Tamale...groan... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am 

Almost 60 in Switzerland, so if the term "global" also includes places other than North America...

You all keep safe and warm and make yourself a stew.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next