Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Part time job!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm 

I just caught this thread. A belated congratulations!

Good luck on Saturday. I just know you'll do great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am 

Well, yesterday was my first official day at the Assisted Living. I had to prepare lunch and then dinner for the residents. For lunch they had a choice of a Sloppy Joe and Black Bean soup or Pasta Primavera with a Bread Stick. Dinner was a Lettuce Salad and Chicken Ala King over Wild Rice. It was very hard working in a kithcen where you don't know where everything is, but I managed. The best part was talking to some of the residents after each meal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm 

Todd, sounds like you really enjoyed it. Curious as to where you got the recipes, where they ones there or did you have to take your own and batch up? We have a show here called Recipe to Riches and the batch up challenge is always interesting to watch and see how certain ingredients can't simply be tripled, quadrupled, etc. And how some recipes take so much longer when batched up or don't turn out at all.
Love that you went to talk to everyone too...I'm sure the residents loved that part of their day as much as the food.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm 

I used their recipes. The soup and pasta recipes were fine, but the Chicken Ala King recipe needed some additions to make it work.
I loved talking to the residents. One of them was my neighbor when I was a kid growing up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 am 

I am needed again this Saturday. It should be easier this being my second day and his new chef has been there for a couple of weeks to get things organized.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:44 am 

Was I wrong about it being easier my second day. As soon as I walked in the door, I was told that I wouldn't have a dishwasher for the lunch service. No problem, I have washed dishes before. I go to the kitchen and the dish machine isn't working. To make a long story short, the pipes were frozen and it wasn't getting any water. I went in at 9 and we didn't get the pipes thawed and the machine working until almost 1. Needless to say it was a very busy day for me having to make Lunch and then wash all the breakfast and lunch dishes and then wash more dishes around 3 because they had a Valentines party. I did have a dishwasher for the dinner service and she was a big help. Both meals went well, except I read the count wrong and I made way too much Shrimp Bisque for the Lunch service. Yesterday just reminded me again how hard foodservice really is and yet most people don't realize how much work it entails.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 am 

Ouch, and you thought French was going to be your problem. On the bright side, you survived today you can survive a lot!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 am 

I am working Saturday May 18th and Sunday May 19th at the Assisted Living. The Manager/Chef put in his two week notice and Susan will be taking over when he leaves. She needs these days off for a Wedding, so I said I would help her out.