Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: hurricane
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm 

We got high wind, although nothing like NY or NJ, lots of rain during the night but it tapered off today. Lots of downed trees around though and people without power. We had flickers but no outages. And now the weather for halloween looks better than expected.
Paul - my dh is in Ottawa so he got your weather. I got to haul in all the decorations and generally batten down the hatches. Thanks goodness oldest child thought to lay the basketball nets on their side or I'd have had major car damage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm 

Watching the images last night on the news of the water rolling through lower Manhattan and New Jersey and of the wind storms in Toronto was really shocking...I hope everyone here affected by the storm is warm and safe. DH is in Halifax and says they have been largely spared. It might hit the other side of the province later on (the St. Lawrence side), and parts of New Brunswick, but nothing like what the NE coast saw.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm 

I called my MiL this morning (they live on the southern Jersey shore right near all the towns you heard about on the news all day). They were exceedingly lucky...only lost their pool house (kind of big), and a few trees which came down on the house, but the damage wasn't awful.

As my MIL said, the face of the Jersey shore has been changed forever.

What a horrific storm.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm 

From our Engineer Al on Long Island, Darcie...it's is the same Al you met...
------------------------------------
"Total devastation here! Major tree, power lines and flooding damage.

We have been very fortunate in that we only lost power for 5 minutes and one section of my fence blew in-half.

I lent my generator to a friend who looks like they'll be without power for at least a week.

One friend lost their house so we've offered to share ours with them for as long as it takes for them to get on their feet again.

JFK runways were totally submerged. All tunnels to NYS were flooded except one. All major roads and bridges are closed except to emergency vehicles.
Subways are flooded up to 12 feet.

Most North and South Shore areas are flooded. Lots of house fires due to electrical shorts and breakage in gas lines when houses where shifted of foundations by water.

It's a pretty big mess but we are okay and safe."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm just happy that we flew British Airways to Prague, since it means that our flight went over Canada instead of through the East Coast. So we made it home, unlike a bunch of people at the conference, who are still in Prague, waiting for a flight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 am 

Glad you got home. Sabine left this morning, also via Canada. Glad to hear everyone is safe. This was a tough one.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 am 

Da Bull Man wrote:
From our Engineer Al on Long Island, Darcie...it's is the same Al you met...
------------------------------------
"Total devastation here! Major tree, power lines and flooding damage.

We have been very fortunate in that we only lost power for 5 minutes and one section of my fence blew in-half.

I lent my generator to a friend who looks like they'll be without power for at least a week.

One friend lost their house so we've offered to share ours with them for as long as it takes for them to get on their feet again.

JFK runways were totally submerged. All tunnels to NYS were flooded except one. All major roads and bridges are closed except to emergency vehicles.
Subways are flooded up to 12 feet.

Most North and South Shore areas are flooded. Lots of house fires due to electrical shorts and breakage in gas lines when houses where shifted of foundations by water.

It's a pretty big mess but we are okay and safe."

I'm glad to hear he hear made out all right. Sounds like a lot of people weren't so lucky. That was a very generous offer to his friends but I'm not surprised he did it, he seemed like that kind of person. Send him my regards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 am 

I'm back at work today so I have computer access again. We still have no power/heat in our area (Chelsea, NYC) but we were able to relocate to a friends apt on the upper east side. We feel very lucky that we only have to deal with lack of heat and power (and loss of food in fridge). The damage is just devastating and my heart goes out to all who have suffered losses.
Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 pm 

Nance,
I'm so glad that you are ok, but so sorry that things are not easy right now. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Nancy,

Sounds rough. I hate hurricanes, they definitely contributed to moving to the west coast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next