Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tatoosh
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 am 

Steve - phew!
Fighting for computer time with the student set is never fun...they tend to think their projects are more important than the "stuff" we want to look up. And hard to argue that point!
Best to you in the new year too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:41 pm 

Also glad to see you back. I also want to know how you get such good rates for shipping. I thought about having a Weber shipped over but the shipping cost as much as the grill.

Have fun playing with all your new purchases. I use The Flavor Bible pretty much like Amy does, probably less successfully though. I am happiest without a recipe.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm 

I often use The Flavor Bible in conjunction with Eat Your Books .....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm 

Yeah, it is all sensory overload, but in a good way. Books I curl up with, toys to play with, I'm such a kid in a candy store at the moment!

Amy, I know it is a matter of me just sitting down and spending time with the Flavor Bible so I get a better feel for what it offers. Sometimes I am bit slow on the uptake, to be sure. But I am also sure it is a very valuable addition to my library and a great resource.

phoenix, talanhart, Jesbelle & gardnercook ... yeah it is all good though it seemed like I surely angered the Gods of the Processor for four ... effing four! computers to suck up at one time. Okay, two of them were kinda limping along and not such a look of amazement on my face when they died, but the other two ... huh? ... felt like I had voodoo curse on my hardware.

The joy of dealing with bureaucracy was actually pretty smooth considering some of our previous experiences and horror stories we've heard before. Other than many long bumpy trips up and down the mountain and a whole lotta waitin' in line, the people themselves were quite nice. Professional, but helpful and a couple of the grouchiest actually went far out of their way to see our papers were done correctly. Without them, I and my wife would still be ping ponging up and down the mountain to Manila.

But there were still hours of sitting, waiting for your number to be called, an ID card to show up, whatever. My wife's Philippine passport went much smoother this time than the first fiasco a couple of years ago when we tried to get it. Now with her national teachers ID and student ID for her masters degree, it is like her fairy godmother waved the magic wand. No hassles, none of the attitude about having this "i" dotted and all the "t's" crossed on the perpendicular. She actually came out of the process (and interview) with a smile.

So now she can travel overseas when the time comes and I can theoretically stay here as long as I like without a big bite out of my wallet every couple of months for a tourist visa extension. Sweet.

And thank all of your for your concern and kind thoughts. You are a great group of people!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tatoosh,

Four at once? I'd suspect a power surge. Are all four on some kind of heavy-duty power surge protection?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 am 

jeanf, marygott and paul, I didn't see your posts when I published mine, sorry for not including you in my reply. I hear you about losing the computer to the students just because they have a paper due or research for class coming up. Heh heh!

Fuzzy, I think one died due to heat stroke, one died off the premise, so no idea on it, and the other two may have succumbed to the dirty power situation here. Due to losing a 1500 dollar TV last year I moved my existing surge protectors around to protect my most expensive equipment. And meant to get more, but the two trips out to buy them were unsuccessful, I was looking for good UPS with AVR built in at a price I could afford. The shops I usually purchase at were out of stock. Now I fear my lack of diligence has bitten me in the blue-tocks!

One is back up, two are waiting for a good tech to come back from vacation and look at them. One will likely never flicker again though I will cannibalize it for parts to be sure. Nice to be connected though. Okay, gotta run, the troops are besieging the computer, so I gotta run!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines