Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tatoosh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 am 

Anybody hear from Steve lately? I'm beginning to get a little worried. Is he in the typhoon area?

Post subject: Re: Tatoosh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm 

I was thinking about him last night wondering where he is. Did you try sending him a PM?

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 pm 

No, of course not. That would have required logic and thinking things through.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Golly gosh, he hasn't logged in since Dec. 2. PM'd him, will try email if we don't hear in a couple days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm 

Hi folks! I am alive and kicking. Been an "interesting" month or so. Four computers died, two desktops and two laptops. I and my wife have been ping ponging between Manila and our place six hours away while she got her passport and I got my permanent resident card. Each took a number of meetings and interviews scheduled at their convenience, not ours.

We, luckily, were not affected by the terrible storm that hit the southern Philippines. Part of the reason it was so terrible for them is they do not get typhoons and heavy rainstorms, so they do not have the infrastructure to deal with it or the aftermath. We live in the typhoon alley, so to speak, and those storms do not do nearly so much damage because the place is generally built to handle it.

On the upside: We now have a bread maker and a juicer, plus the Sous Vide Magic 1500D PID controller has arrived. So making dough is much easier, my wife has developed a taste for carrot juice and milk, and deep fried egg yolks no longer require me to bribe the 10-year-old with gummy bears to routinely check our slow cooker with a thermapen, turning on or off as needed.

My books have arrived and I'm enjoying Peterson's Sauces immensely. I have the Flavor Bible in hand now, but still haven't quite deciphered how to use it, but I will. A couple of the old Frugal Gourmet cookbooks arrived and I really enjoy reading about his love of food and growing up in house with different cultures, all very food oriented. The Mennonite cookbook is okay, but not quite what I expected. Still lots of good reading for months to come.

The Kindle showed up and I can understand some of the comments and reservations about it, but I still think it is an excellent tool. I am learning on how to convert books we already have for it and to format them so they are not just one huge file, but with links to the contents and so forth to make the information accessible.

The knife set showed up and my brother-in-law is very happy with it. It is not in perfect shape, but I think it was well worth the hundred bucks it cost. The main chef's knife is in very good, if not perfect, condition, the other knives in excellent shape. The F Dick sharpening steel is the nicest steel I've ever run across and I'm now quite envious of my bro-n-law! The knife bag was a bit more beat than I expected but of much higher quality than any I've seen elsewhere. Heavy rubber-like vinyl, I think, but quite substantial. Overall, I am quite pleased with it. It will keep him going for a decade or two, I think.

I am waiting on my Weber BBQ grill, a one touch gold unit, a smokenator 1000 unit that fits inside and turns it into a smoker. I will order the pizza kettle accessory, pizza stone and peel, once I see the Weber has arrived in good shape. Same for the Kitchen Aid mixer, which I held off for a bit as I tried a couple of different shippers to see how they worked out.

So thank you very much for the concern. I do apologize for not at least dropping by and wishing you all well for the Holidays, which I do now, even though it is quite belated. One computer is up and running again and next month I'll get at least one laptop going so that there will be two computers in the house. Handy when two students need access along with myself.

My best wishes to all here and I hope you have a healthy, happy and very flavorful 2012!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

Last edited by Tatoosh on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 pm 

Glad you're ok, Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 am 

Steve,

Good to see you! Sorry to hear of your computer issues...in this day and age, that can be hellish.

Re: The Flavor Bible. I use it for inspiration. It's become more and more rare I cook from recipes, and I use the book to help me think through ideas. Typically, I'll start with an ingredient, then think about what's in the pantry or fridge that might go with it. For example, one day I bought a pomegranate on sale at the market, and I had some chicken I wanted to use. I thought about flavors that would go well with both of these and then started looking those up. When something struck me as a good pairing with the things I wanted to use, I then looked that up. In other words, one idea begat another. I find I do a lot of cross-referencing when I use this book.

Let's put it this way...if I were stranded on an island and told I was only allowed to have one book, this would be it.

Sounds like you have enough new toys to keep you occupied for a while! Congrats.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 am 

Welcome back! It sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy for awhile. Not having a computer bites. Keep us posted about how you use your Weber and accessories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am 

Sorry about your troubles with the cold, unfeeling hands of technology and bureaucracy, but I'm glad to hear you are otherwise unscathed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 am 

Steve
Glad you are all alive and well....I am overwhelmed by all of the new toys you have. I think if I got all of those at once, I would be overwhelmed and would not know where to start.
Enjoy it all
Ilene