Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new roof today
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am 

Got much needed roof done yesterday. The co. had their entire crew here (20 guys) to complete it in ONE day! That included replacing all the plywood and redoing the rafters above the garage/den area. I still can't get over it being done in one day. The workers were nonstop except for a short lunch break. House looks fantastic. Gutters coming today.

I felt like I was under quarantine with the blue tarps over all the windows while shingles and plywood came flying down. (The noise of it being torn apart was a bit unnerving but the owner warned us not to be alarmed by scary/strange sounds so that made it a bit easier. And it was apart in no time!)

We spoke to roofers for months til we finally found one that knew what they were doing and we had full faith in. It cost a pretty penny but was well worth it. All other roofers we spoke with were just going to pull the 2 sets of shingles and retile, one wanted to place plywood over the existing (rotten) plywood and joist the rafters (that was scary!), another said nothing was wrong with the rafters and that is how the house was built (no it was not). (Builder failed to place rafter support over that area...but the rafters were pretty sturdy considering that they did not sag til several years ago and the house is now 59 years old).

Once we met our roofer and he commented on the rafters needing replacing without us even having a chance to bring it up, we knew we found our guy. It was so refreshing to find a roofer who not only knew what he was doing but took pride in his work. I've already recommended him to 2 friends. It cost about 2/3 more than every other estimate we got and worth every penny of it. We found the All-Clad of roofers. LOL

If you knew of our raccoon in the attic situation in August, or saw the sad situation of the prior roof, you'd be excited as I am about it. LOL

Post subject: Re: new roof today
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 am 

Congrats on the new roof. Good contractors like that are indeed worth a little extra money. I have a friend who is a contractor and he does excellent work. My whole family and many of my friends use him exclusively for any work they need done on their homes.