Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad habits in the kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 am 

marygott wrote:
Probably my worst sin is not letting the Velveeta come to room temp before serving.

Mary

Yes, that is a sin of epic proportions. Your foie gras must have been quivering from the thought of it.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 am 

JesBelle wrote:
I use dinner forks to scratch my back. Yes, I wash my disgusting keratinized epithelials off before using them for eating. However, I'm sure this is a far worse habit than any others listed here.

I have one worse than yours, JB. Sometimes I throw meat scraps directly on the floor for the cats. This usually provides impetus for me to mop the floors but I've been known to just swipe up the area.

Mary, I share your jar lid condition - and my husband always seems to pick up the jar and make a mess.

I'm just a plain ol' messy cook - it always looks like a natural disaster in my kitchen after a big cooking/baking session, even when I have the best of intentions and start with a sinkful of hot soapy water and an empty dishwasher. 8-) I'm working on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 pm 

Yeah, well, I am a one woman train wreck in the kitchen. I really have had 5 sinks full of dishes when a marathon session was on. Not disciplined at all.

Worst one I can think of to tell on myself; 2 second rule. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 pm 

Um Darcie. If that was actually worse, I would have posted that instead. I do have the little buggers trained to not beg at the table, but when they see me at the cutting board, all bets are off. Also, since I do have cats, I figure worse things than cat tongues and chicken skin have already touched the floors - cat feet and cat butts, for instance - so I'm definitely not mopping or swiping unless something unsightly has been left behind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 pm 

crystal wrote:
2 second rule.

I give it 5 seconds...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:29 pm 

I am messy, too. And I always get the wrong sized bowl. And I clean obsessively because we have a Golden Retriever and there can be hair everywhere. And things "accidentally fall on the floor" while I'm prepping/cooking and have to call for a cleanup of of the four legged kind. Someone (EB or Trinket?) waxed enthusiastically about a Shark steam cleaner, and it has changed my life. I don't have to scrub (and hurt my back) cleaning the floor, so I don't find myself being so careful.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:05 am 

I am pretty ocd in the kitchen so I get upset when knives, appliances or utensils are miss-used or not cleaned immediately after use. It drives DH crazy, he's of the it is always better to do it later variety. I tend to grab and/or clean immediately because I used to have inside dogs and cats. Now I do the 2-5 second rule. But I can't stand to see dishes in the sink or beside it. I used to rush to do them, which of course was great for DH, stupid for me. So I don't sweat it anymore, just don't cook early which is when DH likes to eat if there is stuff in my way. Amazingly now the kitchen is always perfect when there are proteins defrosting or have made their way to the kitchen fridge.

I wash my sinks and my counters just before I start cooking because I invariably will have items slip off the cutting board or miss and put stirring spoons down on the counter. I also tend to rinse fruits and veggies (not together) right in the sink rather than having to clean a colander. Wash them after I'm done as well.

My biggest offense is to wash super hot pots and pans (e.g. my popcorn chef's pan) as soon as they come off the stove. That tends to ruin the scrubbers on the dish wand, so I replace them way more often than I would if I waited for the items to cool a bit. Also use the hot water to the max and then forget to move it back, not nice for using it after I'm done. Would be fine if I lived alone but....