Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad habits in the kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 pm 

easy bake wrote:
Can I add a husband-bad-habit: He continues to put a knife that has touched meat into the mayo jar when making sandwiches.

I think I've finally broke Andy of the habit of cross-contamination. And, he finally uses Clorox Cleanup, even though he hates the smell of it.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm 

Most of my habits are bad. I try to remember to clean as I go but often forget, ditto mise, ditto empty the dishwasher before cooking.
I also tend to leave the water running when it need not be running. And I do this thing where I just set a cap on top of a jar and only screw it tight when putting it away and I ALWAYS do that. In my perfect universe, where I am the only occupant, this would work fine. In my husband's perfect universe he would never have pickle juice running down his arm. Probably my worst sin is not letting the Velveeta come to room temp before serving.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:43 pm 

I use dinner forks to scratch my back. Yes, I wash my disgusting keratinized epithelials off before using them for eating. However, I'm sure this is a far worse habit than any others listed here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 pm 

Speaking of restaurant people, the other day I was shopping at a very expensive cheese shop that makes super deluxe sandwiches. It's very small and the owner is usually on the premises and always very helpful. The only person other than me was a young girl who waited on me. She had a pierced tongue with a gold ball affixed and kept clicking the damned thing against her teeth. I thought it was revolting!!!!!! Finally told her I'd come back later. I don't understand why anyone would hire someone like that, especially in such an upscale shop. It really pee'd me off because I drove waaaaaaaaaaay out of my way to get there and I really wanted to take home a couple of their sandwiches for dinner. By the time I get back there, of course I'll have forgotten all about it and I'd really like to complain to the owner. Hopefully she's not his daughter!
Fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm 

It was probably a new tongue stud. They usually stop clicking once they've gotten used to them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm 

I always choose a too-small cutting board for my task, resulting in chopped bits all over the counter. Why? No idea, I have plenty of large cutting boards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 pm 

I'm adding my good habit.
I don't allow myself to have a cocktail until my knife skills are no longer needed.
Needless to say, I'm an early chopper :lol:
Nance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:29 am 
Site Admin

JB,

You either have really large forks or a really small back. You know, those Chinese bamboo things are like $3. Just sayin'

Fitzie,

I don't find that disgusting but I do find it annoying as hell. Friend of mine got a tongue piercing and after one evening over I told him not to come back for 3 weeks. He clicked the thing against his teeth constantly for the first month he had it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am 

Fuzzy, disgusting or annoying, it didn't go too well with me in a food shop/cafe. I'd rather not see what's in anybody's mouth.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:50 am 

easy bake wrote:
It bugs me to see restaurant people with bandaids, I know it's probably better than an open cut, but you can't wash a bandaid between handlings of different things.

In most states it's a requirement you were gloves (or some facsimile depending on the injury) if you have a cut on your hand. I've certainly injured myself enough (a nick here, a burn there) that I've been forced to wear finger condoms or gloves. Hate them, but wear them.

Amy