Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Situation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Sure. But it certainly appears that the staff has already intercepted a communication meant for their boss, and kept it from him. I supposed that Becca could demand to talk to the owner. But if she's going to make demands, then there have to be consequences if they don't meet them.

For my part, when I trash a restaurant in public, it's generally because I'm looking for one of two outcomes:

a) that other diners be warned away from the place, or

b) that the incompetent/obnoxious staff get fired, and the restaurant gets better.

When I've made the decision to use the bad publicity option, I've already given up on getting anything from the restaurant myself, and have decided never to go back to that restaurant. It's something I only do after I have given the place more than one chance. Among other things, even if they tried to make it up to you, how could you trust the staff not to spit in your food after you got them called on the carpet with the boss?

I've actually been offered free meals after a bad review to "make it up to me". I never take advantage of this unless I think there's been a sincere change of management and I'm planning to do a new, better review. In fact, I've only done that once (and happily the restaurant had improved 100%). In general, my answer is "A free meal isn't going to change my opinion of your restaurant, so I will decline."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:52 pm 

Josh,

You and I have different approaches. I like mine because it works for me. And yours works for you. Different styles...different markets.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

I'll admit that I'm also feeling confrontational today because I spent part of the day preparing paperwork to sue my office landlord.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:20 pm 

We all have days...

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:14 pm 

Becca,

You're absolutely right. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when you're not in the situation.
The bottom line is that they ruined your fun, prize-winning birthday dinner, and you deserve to get a reparative dinner back. With something extra thrown in to make things right. I'd start by talking to 'Lance', but it you get nowhere, politely insist on talking to the owner. Ask to arrange a time to call him directly if they say he's unavailable. It's entirely possible he knows nothing of this, or has been given a different version of events by staff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:22 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
Becca,

You're absolutely right. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when you're not in the situation.
The bottom line is that they ruined your fun, prize-winning birthday dinner, and you deserve to get a reparative dinner back. With something extra thrown in to make things right. I'd start by talking to 'Lance', but it you get nowhere, politely insist on talking to the owner. Ask to arrange a time to call him directly if they say he's unavailable. It's entirely possible he knows nothing of this, or has been given a different version of events by staff.

I agree. You deserve what you won.

I supervise a complaint department so hear legitimate and made up issues daily. I get the escalations when my people can't make the member happy. There are some people that can't be made happy. You are not one of them. What I tell my people when apologizing:
1- apologize for the specific issue
2- explain what when wrong and what we've done to make sure it won't happen again
3- offer an appropriate gesture of compensation

I'd give them another chance. But I know why you left, my husband would have been the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm 

Becca I am sorry your dinner did not work. My husband is of the leave not make a fuss but never return. I am not. Having been a business owner and in charge of quality of services for a large agency, I want problems aired and solved. I deal with problems pretty much as Amy does. I am very polite, request a supervisor and keep moving up the line if need be. In the few instances in which I don't get satisfaction, then I resort to going elsewhere.

I have found that this works with both small and large businesses. We use coupons all the time and I appreciate it when I am told what is and what is not included. I don't feel that I have to make up the price of the freebie by buying booze. I do tip the wait staff for the full cost before the discount (assuming good service).

If you can find a way to get to the owner, I would give him a chance to make good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:00 am 

If all else fails, send the chef/owner a letter via snail mail. If you feel the staff is trying to hide the situation from him, mark it "personal". In this day of electronic communication, people tend to forget the impact of a handwritten letter. Be sure you let him know your efforts to contact him personally have failed. He may be totally unaware of the situation. Hope you find some satisfaction. This is a sorry situation.

fitzie