Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It has begun ...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 pm 

Fuzzy,

Every time I plant greens (spring and fall) I plant a zig zag row about 10" apart, with a strip of T-tape (a type of soaker hose) down the center, then I lay a 3' wide piece of thin Agribon over it, and seal around the edges, on one long edge with soil, and on the ends and other side with anything I can find to lay on it. This helps prevent damage from spring rains, but the main purpose is to keep rabbits from destroying the seedlings. It also keeps bugs off, but I have to sprinkle on sluggo, before planting, as they come out of the ground. Look out for rabbits - they can destroy seedlings in a few hours.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:32 pm 

Beautiful sunny day here today. Went out to check my herb patch to see if the chives were coming back and LO & BEHOLD a spot of green and it's my tarragon. Never had that before. I'm thrilled. Deep freeze predicted for tonight or tomorrow so I'll dig up the tarragon and bring it in for a while. Pear and magnolia trees are in full bloom all over the city and it's beautiful. Hope the freeze passes us by. Nothing sadder than frozen magnolia blossoms. Daffodils all over the yard. Lilacs and peonies showing signs of life. Love this time of year.

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 pm 

Fitzie,

That's great that your tarragon came up! It's one of the first perennials to show up every year in my garden. I have never had to dig them up to prevent being damaged by freezing, and they are almost always exposed to it, at least briefly, after coming up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:39 pm 

Today I got my garden tilled, and later got my greens planted and covered (to stop rabbits, mainly). I have 3 varieties of kohlrabi planted, and komatsuna, senposai (komatsuna x cabbage), Zen tatsoi (tatsoi x komatsuna), bok choy, 3 varieties of leaf lettuce, chard, and minutina. Anybody grow or eat minutina before? This is the only new green for me this season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Dave,

Fortunately rabbits are not a real issue in my neighborhood, mostly because of the sheer number of indoor/outdoor cats. Squirrels, however, are a menace.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:14 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Dave,

Fortunately rabbits are not a real issue in my neighborhood, mostly because of the sheer number of indoor/outdoor cats. Squirrels, however, are a menace.

I declared war on squirrels many years ago, when I kept finding tomatoes on the ground with a bite out of them, and eventually I found that it was squirrels doing this. That first year, I trapped over 50 squirrels, next year 20 something, and eventually I got down to about 6 a year. I haven't been able to trap rabbits - nothing really seems to attract them, like peanut butter with squirrels.

Last night I got all of my tomato, pepper, and tomatillo seeds planted!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:27 am 

For a bit of fun, I put up a live temperature monitor of my garden soil.

https://io.adafruit.com/Mr_Paul/garden-temp#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:52 pm 

Stitched out the scale little, stopped overwhelming the service with data; by tomorrow there should be 24 hours showing! And we can see how cold it gets here at night, soil wise (about 2.5" down)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:38 pm 

Earthbox problem,
I developed a blossom end rot on my tomatoes this year. Last year (my first year with these) was fine. I have read about using pickling lime for a quick fix but I am past that point. Any other pointers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next