Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: For those planting garlic this year...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:43 pm 

Bumpity - - -
Last week I planted some store bought garlic that had started to sprout - 1" deep in 6" pots using MG potting soil; some is up already :!: :!:
Goggle has a wide variety of advice but I'd prefer knowledge from youz guyz :!: :roll:

Should I trim it and, if so, when?
When can I transplant to my garden?
We frost in October, so do I have time from now to then to harvest?

Also planted 36 chervil seeds and they are all up :!: :!: I know what to do with them.

And for the first time, I am trying to grow ginger from the grocery store - I just cut it up like seed potatoes and stuck them in a huge pot of MG potting soil. We'll see :D :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:18 pm 

Sorry, can't be of much help here Wino with the transplanting since I've never planted indoors and transplanted. I usually plant in October (Columbus Day weekend) and harvest in July. I'm in Zone 6 if that helps. You shouldn't trim them. They should be harvested when 2/3 of the green tops have turned brown. And then dry them in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks before trimming and storing. At least that's the method that's worked for me and is commonly used in upstate NY. I'm sure each person has their own methods.
I'm worried that this years' crop is going to be another disaster due to this past Feb being the 2nd coldest on record in 135 years. We'll see.
Good luck with your garlic, ginger and chervil!
Nance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 pm 

I have never heard of planting garlic indoors, then transplanting, nor have I heard of planting garlic at this time of year. You can try it - late in the season look for the leaves turning brown (50% is the usual amount to look for when time to harvest) and reach undrground to see how large the heads have gotten. If they didn't do much, you can let them die off, then come back the next spring. This I have heard of, though I have never done it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 pm 

At first I though he had planted them in the garden, and I was trying to imagine Wino shovelling out the garden, using a pickaxe to break through the frozen ground and planting garlic. It really seemed above and beyond, ya know. Still, planting indoors, pretty on it. I've not done it, which means I'll need to buy plants cause I'm lazy, and I can never buy decent plants like chervil (or tarragon 1/2 the time for that matter). Bah.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 am 

Some garlic, esp. rocamboles, NEED a deep freeze in the ground in order to develop properly. I found this out when I planted some Spanish Rioja many years ago, and had a very mild winter. When I dug everything up in July, those looked barely larger than when I planted them, and had not formed heads. Since then, I have only grown porcelains or purple stripes, as they will usually grow in either type of winter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 am 

THANKS to all :!: I have no idea what type they are but they are sprouting fools!!

-35C wind chill bothers them NOT! as they bask in the glorious sunshine on the sills in my office (in the morning) and the sunroom (in the afternoon). Yes, I am the 'seedling whisperer'. This is about as close to rocking the cradle as I'll ever get - can snapshots be far behind :?: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 am 

Update on the indoor growing - FAILURE!
However, it is now almost time to plant for the fall, outdoors this time, and I have the following possibilities: Legacy, Music, Bogatyr, Siberian, and Duganski. Any recommendations :?: :shock: :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:56 am 

wino wrote:
However, it is now almost time to plant for the fall, outdoors this time, and I have the following possibilities: Legacy, Music, Bogatyr, Siberian, and Duganski. Any recommendations :?: :shock: :)

I'm not aware of any of these besides Music, which is always my preference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:03 pm 

Music, metechi, and Estonian Red are my garlics. ER is becoming more available, as many others are having good luck with it, and the cloves and heads are LARGE!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Music, metechi, and Estonian Red are my garlics. ER is becoming more available, as many others are having good luck with it, and the cloves and heads are LARGE!

I noticed a few growers with ER at the Saugerties Garlic Festival the last 2 years so will give it a try this Fall. The Festival is always the last full weekend in September - can't wait, as always!