Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daikon Radish Sprouts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:01 am 

I was at the market yesterday and couldn't find any, so I asked. Turns out City Market is no longer carrying them (or any sprouts from what I could see) because people were getting sick from them. (Sprouts are a prime source of salmonella.) Thing is, I love them, particularly with sushi.

I want to grow my own. Anyone (Dave?) do this? I googled it, and it seems fairly straightforward. I need to buy some of those "sponges" that are used to keep them sprouting without getting tangled. Recommendations?

Amy

Post subject: Re: Daikon Radish Sprouts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am 

That problem with salmonella in sprouts is back? I remember several years ago they were off the market (at least the alfalfa were - even organic weren't safe), as they were trying to figure out the source, then they reappeared. I never heard about the source of the problem.

I have never seen a sponge for sprouting - even didn't see one on Amazon's listing of sprouters. Seems a sponge would not stay sanitary very long, and the roots of the sprouts would grow down into it. I use one of the clear layered plastic sprouters for most of my sprouts, but I also have one of the opaque green flexible plastic sprouters, which is great for large amounts of sprouts, but seems a pain at first, since you have to rinse each layer individually, though it goes quickly, once you get used to it. I use that mostly for legume spouts, which fill them up fast. It also keeps light out, and the sprouts stay white, though I really don't care much about that. Some of the clear plastic are green, which also does this, as plants can't utilize green light.

BTW, the best source for seeds I have found is the Sprouting House.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 am 

Cheesecloth held over the mouth of a mason jar with a rubber band works. You can get a special perforated plastic mason jar lid from Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 pm 

At the restaurant the daikon sprouts we get are grown in what I can best describe as a sponge, and they grow straight up individually...no tangles.

I know it's not a sponge, but that's kind of what it looks like.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm 

I have seen sprout growing kits here and they have that sponge thing as well. Could you take one from the restaurant when the sprouts are gone?

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:29 pm 

Mary,

They seem to be pretty trashed by the time the sprouts have, well...sprouted. Kind of a one-time player.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm 

Rockwool:

Perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 pm 

Delete double post

Last edited by Da Bull Man on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm 

How to Grow Daikon Sprouts Kaiware Daikon

Guest Author - Chidori Phillips

Japanese chefs love to add daikon radish sprouts (kaiware daikon) to sushi, soups or salads to add crispness and balance flavors. These wispy long sprouts have a peppery bite that is a good contrast to subtler ingredients. Often, you’ll see kaiware daikon garnishing tofu and sashimi and peeking out from temaki (hand roll) sushi.

Unlike thick mung bean sprouts that are harvested before they grow leaves, daikon sprouts have white, thread-like stems with tiny green leaf caps. Store-bought daikon sprouts come with the root ends still attached to the growing medium which usually is a type of synthetic sponge. Without this moisture-holding mat, the sprouts would dry out quickly.

Growing sprouts at home is easy. Moisture, warmth, oxygen and sometimes a little bit of indirect sunlight are all that is needed. A few types, like mung beans, can be grown in darkness. Buy your sprout seeds from a reputable source for better chances of sprouting. There are different sprouting vessels you can use. The simplest is a glass jar with a piece of cheesecloth held in place over the jar opening with a rubber band. Then there are more elaborate sprouting tray systems that will put out a steady stream of sprouts with staggered startings. Direct sunlight can overheat or dry out the seeds so take care where you place them.

Because daikon sprouts have such thin stems and look best when they’re growing in the same direction rather than all tangled, use a piece of inexpensive sponge cut to fit the bottom of a glass or plastic container to anchor the seeds. They’ll all sprout upwards as opposed to in scattered directions. Here are step-by-step instructions:

How to Grow Daikon Sprouts
1. Soak the seeds in water for at least 8 hours (better overnight). If using a glass jar, soak only about 1 tablespoon of seeds. Air needs to circulate and overcrowding can lead to mold. If using a larger tray, use about 1-2 tablespoons of seeds per every four square inches.
2. Select a clean sprouting vessel (glass jar, plastic bin, sprouting trays).
3. Cut a piece of large-holed sponge, open hemp/linen/mesh or other loosely woven fabric to fit the bottom of the sprouting vessel. Be sure the sponge is not treated with any chemicals or cleansers.
4. Moisten the material with water and lightly squeeze out the excess. Do not wring it dry!
5. Drain the soaked seeds and spread them out onto the fabric. They will adhere as they sprout.
6. Cover the vessel with cheesecloth and place in a warm place in indirect sunlight.
7. Every 12 hours, carefully rinse the contents with clean water. Be careful not to wash away the seeds or break the roots once sprouted.
8. Drain well as excess or standing water causes rotting.
9. Harvest when the sprouts reach the desired length. Daikon sprouts usually are harvest after they develop a tiny green leaf. It takes about three to five days for the seeds to sprout

Other types of seeds may be sprouted for eating. Broccoli and pea sprouts are my favorites. Mung beans are easiest because the roots are thick and hardy; they can be grown in a jar or in a burlap sack. The latter allows for a larger crop. And because they’re harvested before they develop leaves, they don’t need sunlight.

More tips
Despite their easy nature, sprouts can succumb to the following problems:
1. Poor airflow. Rotting and mold develops. Usually the result of too many seeds in the container, too tight a covering, too much water or insufficient tossing during the rinse and drain process.
2. Contaminated water or jar. Bacteria will proliferate in this moist, warm environment.
3. Temperature is too hot. Seeds will dry out or cook in the heat.
4. Too much water. Seeds will not receive oxygen necessary for sprouting.
5. Too little water. Not enough rinsing will cause the seeds to dry out.
6. Old or damaged seeds. Seeds have a poor rate of germination after five years of storage or if kept in undesirable conditions.

To harvest daikon sprouts, use kitchen shears to cut them near the roots. Rinse gently, pat dry and use them in salads, soups, sushi and as an edible garnish.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art68532.asp

Daikon Radish Seeds