Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the growers out there, I found some good, new varieties
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:08 pm 

For those of you in heat waves (almost all of you!), I found a very good eggplant - Hari - which has resisted, actually thrived on, the high 90's low 100's temps I had for a period of time, which caused most EP and tomatoes to drop their blossoms. At one point, the largest of two plants (I now wish I had grown more!) had 18 fruits on it, of all different sizes!

For those of you who like your basil, I found a new Genovese variety from Renee's Garden which is a very short and bushy type, making it a good one for growing in pots (or hydroponics, my winter supply!). I have three of them growing in windowsill boxes around my deck, and none have even shown signs of bolting with all this heat, and normal Genovese varieties have started long before now when I have grown them. Fantastic flavor, too, or I wouldn't be mentioning it!

I have 11 tomato varieties, and 8 of them dropped their blossoms in the heat. I have a huge number of tomatoes now, but it is later there will be a lull, when these would have ripened. However, I have two new ones, along with the old favorite, Sunsugar, that kept their flowers. Aussie, which has also been my largest (22.5 oz.) of the season, so far, is loaded, and has great flavor. And it was one of my earliest - unusual, for a large heirloom. Green Doctor cherry was the other heat resistant one, a little late, but very productive, and very flavorful. A little harder to tell ripeness than with green zebras, so I check the softness, after they are golden for a few days.

And, of course, all the peppers are heat resistant! Here is a slideshow. The find of the season is the Indian Aruna. I have had a few taste tests (I know, I'm nuts) of the new varieties, and this immediately reminded me of a Thai Dragon pepper I used to get, that disappeared from the market, and I have been unable to find for almost 20 years! It is about 70-80k, and even hot when green, with heat that holds on for 30-40 min. They are indeterminate, and grow at random on the plant, unlike most Thais that grow either up or down, and the peppers look very much like the old one. The are just now beginning to ripen, which is early, though the heat probably helped!

I also have a bunch of new melons out there, but it is still early for them. However, Athena is the largest cantaloupe, so far - about 10", but still unripe.

Post subject: Re: For the growers out there, I found some good, new variet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:35 pm 

Thanks for the info....will keep on hand for next year. I have a pot of the same basil growing (started in March indoors from seed) and it has thrived in our high heat....best I ever grew.