Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greens again!
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:26 pm 

I uncovered my greens for the first time today, and most of them are doing great, for as little time as they have been out there! Here is the album, with all the photos. After getting inside I realized that I missed one - the new Oriental Zen Green - which fooled me, as I thought it was simply a large tatsoi, but in a wrong spot. Later I remembered that very few germinated (not normal for a new batch of seeds!), and the one or two are in that spot. This was after planting the rest of my 32 tomato plants, so I wasn't thinking well.

Don't ask me how I am going to eat all of these (I know what I will be eating a lot of, while waiting for those tomatoes and everything else out there!). As always, I plant more than needed, figuring something is not going to do well, so always have extra...for friends and family.

Post subject: Re: Greens again!
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:42 am 

This is why all of Dave's neighbors hang out in their back yards trying to look wistful and anemic.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 pm 

Like I said, there is now way I can possibly eat all of these things. So I went out very early this morning and harvested enough to nearly fill a 30 gal. trash bag, and took it to work for friends there (we have a commercial fridge in the lunch room, so I knew there was room).

Here is a photo of the row of greens after harvesting those! I would have taken some of the individual plants, but it was too early and I had to get to work. The senposai and komatsuna were most of the harvest, though I harvested a lot of the mizuna, as well. No kohlrabi yet, but they started growing considerably since I uncovered them.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:52 pm 

I uncovered them yesterday, one day before last years date I just noticed! Here is a slideshow of the greens garden. Keep the cursor moving, to see the description above - photobucket did some "improvements", and have to iron out some of the things they screwed up, as usual with things like that.

The Win Win bok choy was the largest, as in the past. The new variety of komatsuna I tried - Sharaku - was smaller than the old variety - Kojisan. I only got the new because the kojisan is no longer available anywhere, and the seeds were lower % germination, being 4 years old, and the seedlings were definitely less vigorous. Yet the plants are all larger than the new variety! Go figure.

Got my 36 tomato plants in, too, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:09 pm 

These are so inspiring - although I must admit that I'm still happy to let my CSA deliver my greens, I can't help but admire all the hard work and dedication. Loved the photos.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:09 pm 

I now feel hopeful that there will actually be a spring (digging out from a 15 inch snowfall!) Deb

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:06 pm 

As always I am so impressed. I am going to share the pictures with DH who's is increasing the planting area this year. I must admit that while I admire your peppers, the greens are what make me drool.

Weather here has been weird to say the least. Very cold winter for us, then summer hot for a couple of days, then back to almost freezing at night but hot during the day. We are now at shorts and ts weather with cool evenings. But then the winds started, picture below to give you an idea of how bad they were, then beautiful hot and then huge downpour for about 3 hours yesterday. Seems to have cleared the air and plants do seem very happy today. Got our Thai basil and Italian basil fully planted and need to cut back everything else.
ImageImage