Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's everyone (or anyone) growing this season?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:38 pm 

I'm not starting anything from seed this year except maybe carrots, but will buy tomatoes, herbs, zucchini and cukes to plant. My source for heirloom tomatoes stopped growing them but I'm hoping to find a few other nurseries that have them, they are becoming more mainstream here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 am 

Basil, ginger mint which I've never heard of or tried, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries for the grandkids.

We have lots of bunnies but for some reason they never touch the hostas. I don't know if its the squirrels or the bunnies that attack the tomatoes. I've never caught them in the act. They're much too clever for that.

fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:20 am 

With snow still on the ground I'm limited to how many seed trays I can carry from the east to the west during the day - :lol:
Currently, I have 27 magnificent basil plants in the 10 leaf stage :!: They get real nervous when I bring home a cute tomato . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 am 

Our backyard is too shady for any serious vegetables. I just get them from the farm stands and the Amish. We do, however, have a nice herb garden right outside the door, and the sage, chives, and mint have already "volunteered" and are doing nicely. The parsely and sage actually lasted all winter.Was hoping my basil would come back, but no go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:06 am 

On Good Friday, I opened my garden shed and pulled out my Herb planter so that I could get at the Lawn Mower to mow the lawn. I was surprised to see that the sage was growing. I will fill the planter again with a variety of things. For Christmas, my brother bought everybody a planter where you fill the bottom with water. I will be planting tomatoes in this. I will have to keep it away from the squirrels until they get quite large as they like to pull out anything that is at ground level.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm 

I transplanted all of those 92 greens out there last Friday (supposed to go out the weekend before, but the wind was so bad for days, there was no way I could get a cover on them), and in just 3 days some of them (the bok choy and mizuna, esp.) have more than doubled in size! Those things are absolutely incredible.

I may have had a squirrel pull out something, though it's a first for this - garlic. Usually NOTHING bothers my garlic, but I guess there have to be a few animals out there with good taste. This might have something to do with the VERY dry weather we have had, and maybe something was after anything wet. I haven't seen any squirrels, however, and a trap I have out there is untouched.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 am 

Three kinds of tomatoes, sweet corn, red & purple bell peppers, straightneck yellow squash, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, two kinds of green beans, strawberries.

My chili plants have not yet emerged, jim sent me cuttings...I think I might have been scammed... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 am 

pepperhead212 wrote:
I may have had a squirrel pull out something, though it's a first for this - garlic. Usually NOTHING bothers my garlic, but I guess there have to be a few animals out there with good taste. This might have something to do with the VERY dry weather we have had, and maybe something was after anything wet. I haven't seen any squirrels, however, and a trap I have out there is untouched.

It's a squirrel. Those little suckers like to pull things out of the ground. The ones that I have in my backyard are real nasty. I have a hammock that I put between two of my trees and if I am laying in it during the Summer, they sit up in the tree and throw twigs at me and then they laugh, or what I have to assume is laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am 

talanhart wrote:
It's a squirrel. Those little suckers like to pull things out of the ground. The ones that I have in my backyard are real nasty. I have a hammock that I put between two of my trees and if I am laying in it during the Summer, they sit up in the tree and throw twigs at me and then they laugh, or what I have to assume is laughter.

:lol:
You need some cats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:02 pm 

I am a lousy gardener and my limited garden space is also too shady. I was thinking about putting tomatoes and basil in the big planters on my back patio instead of flowers. I buy plants though as I don't have the space/inclination to start seeds.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next