Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 am 

I'm working on developing a CSA for our Church and looking specifically for supporting web sites etc. that will help us to develop a long range / vision plan.

Right now the vision probably looks a little different than a "typical" CSA project in that we probably want to initially start with large single or dual crops and give away the produce to local food banks and other NP organizations.

We want to plant fruit trees and other perennial crops such berries, etc. As interest grows we will develop smaller plots for individuals as well as individual organizations to care for.

We have 5-6 acres available that we can dedicate to the effort, we want to stay away from raising animals or fowl.

Would love any / all input or advise.

Post subject: Re: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:49 am 

I don't have any websites to point you toward, but what a terrific idea. I do have a couple of random thoughts. First, grow items that have a longish shelf life like carrots, potatoes, beets and other root crops. Second, nitrogen-enriching cover crops on any fallow land to improve soil quality. Third, succession planting since you can grow year-round in Texas - many plants can even grow in the "shade" of other plants, i.e. lettuce underneath tomatoes.

I highly recommend the book Square Foot Gardening. Even though you are talking about a large area, it is a great way to maximize yield and minimize labor. The book has some plans for larger-scale projects.

Also, see if you can work with any restaurants/coffee shops for non-meat food waste to use as compost. I can only guess that you will be able to recruit volunteer labor (I would volunteer if I were closer!).

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am 

Thanks Darcie,

I expect a lot of folks here would volunteer if they could, virtual help is welcome as well, I volunteered to serve on the board of a local pantry http://www.shepherdsheartpantry.org/ and the idea just seems to "fit". We supply food to about 500 - 600 families every week

We may look at putting a stand at the local farmers market, grow pumpkins in the fall as a fund raiser...lots, and lots of disjointed ideas that just need to come together before moving forward.

We have several dairies close by so composted manure is plentiful.

Since it's not really a "typical" CSA I thought asking for the advice of my friends was a good idea...no surprise that you responded quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 am 

Frank
check outhttp://www.doortodoororganics.com...this is the CSA I use and they allow a lot of customization. For example, I get a "bitty box" (small) every other week and choose to have as much local product as possible. The site allows me to substitute up to 5 items for each delivery. I think thier site and their service is topnotch.
ilene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 pm 

The CSA I belonged to didn't deliver. After I signed up, they issued me a card. The card color indicated the level I had signed on at. I met them at the Farmer's Market every week and picked out a certain dollar amount worth of food and they punched the card. (I'm not sure why they went with the punch system. Even after the card was filled, they let me get my quota of food anyway.) It was very nice for a pregnant lady who might be craving tomatoes and nectarines, but who might turn a little green at the thought of okra.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:10 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
We have several dairies close by so composted manure is plentiful.

It may not be in the budget, but I would have that manure tested if possible. A lot of antibiotics and hormones are allegedly found in cow manure, especially in large dairies or feedlots. You will note that I said allegedly... ;) Of course you shouldn't look a gift manure in the .... um... mouth?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:25 pm 

One thing to do that really helps is to attach recipes to the deliveries, esp. if you're going to have the same produce week after week. And this is true not only for "difficult" produce to use like kale or beets, but even for popular vegies that you get tired of (zucchini and yes, even corn). Obviously the recipes should be designed for your audience -- my guess is many recipients of complimentary produce don't want recipes with creme fraiche -- but given how few people really know how to cook vegies and fruits it would be a great way to expand the impact of the program. And it could be a great way to get some of your church members who won't or can't do the physical labor involved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm 

What a great idea Lindsay.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:46 pm 

Door to Door has started including recipes and also posts them on their website....it is a great idea!
ilene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:43 pm 

wonderful ideas for a fantastic idea. how about adding herbs to the mix, especially those that may fit the ethnic backgrounds of your members. Herbs could also be grown in portable containers or raised beds so those with more limited mobility can participate. And there's the whole cut and grow again ability of most herbs.