Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asian greens, for those who grow them.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm 

For those of you who grow greens, here is a copy of a post I placed on a garden forum I frequent. I thought I'd share it with you, in case you feel adventurous next season. Maybe some time I'll do a taste test, for this site, as this is geared toward the growing of the greens.

I will definitely be doing this every winter from now on, as long as I am able! I was shocked at how many varieties not only survived, but kept growing, and coming back after I cut them back!

Here is a slideshow on the last of the winter greens. And to give you an idea of what they were out there in, I am in zone 6B, and Dec. and Jan. were colder than average by 7 and 8º, and Feb. was 2º warmer, and average lows for those months are 29, 24, and 26º, respectively, and the avg. highs are 42, 37, and 40º, resp. And this year we had several cold snaps, the worst of which was just after 1-21, when it got down to 4.5º in my yard, and stayed in the single digits as lows for three more days. Each time I would get one of these cold spells threatening, I would go out and do a huge harvest, cutting all but a couple of each type, and they would come back in less than a month.

And here is the overview on the varieties:

Komatsuna
Pinetree Gardens - this brand (no actual variety) was best in the winter, and is the only one not looking like it is ready to bolt at the last uncovering. Not as bolt resistant when planted in the spring, when warm weather starts up.
Kojisan - this did OK in the winter, but better in the spring, as it was the most bolt resistant of all types in the heat. Still, it produced very large leaves, and grew back from cut backs, up until the super cold snap, when it got more stunted.
Senposai - A cross between komatsuna and bok choy, this did well in the winter, getting only a few brown leaves in the very cold weather, and grew huge leaves, esp. in the early winter. Definitely a keeper.
Red - Not very large at all, in either the winter, or the spring growings. Definitely won't grow again.

Bok choy
Mei Qing choi and Win-win choi were both about the same - good in both spring (very fast growers) and winter, though they were not resistant to the single digit temps., which did them in, though I got many harvests up to then. However, they grew back, after the warmer temps came back.

Mizuna
Kyona - This stuff was absolutely incredible! It grew like a weed, coming back even thicker, every time I cut it. Now I know why it is grown commercially, for all those salad mixes.

Tatsoi - No variety - from Pinetree Gardens - but did great all winter, growing back after every cutting, and was a favorite flavor-wise with many friends I gave "green bags" to.

Shogoin - This is a green, but also a sort of turnip, that grows above ground. Did OK in the winter, but would be better planted a little earlier, so the bulb would be fully grown, then it could be harvested as need through the winter. Grows well in spring, but best in the fall.

And here are the ones I won't do under the winter cover again:

Kohlrabi - I won't grow this again for winter. It survived, with barely a browned leaf, but the bulbs did not form well. Needs a period of some warmth for that, I guess.

Misome - This is a hybrid between Komatsuna and Tatsoi, and did well until it got very cold. Did not come back after cutting back...maybe it doesn't do this?

Minutina - Did OK, but did not come back after cutting back, and did not survive the cold snaps well.

Twisted Heart Mustard - Not a cut and come again type. Survived up until the single digit snap - only had one left then, so no great loss.

Swiss Chard - Did not do nearly as well as the Asian greens, as evidenced in the photos through the winter. Will not try again.

Post subject: Re: Asian greens, for those who grow them.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:37 pm 

That is very inspiring, Dave, but I think in Zone 4 I am screwed. Maybe if I build an actual greenhouse I could get away with it, but I'd have to slog through 3 feet of snow just to reach it.

Even in the summer my garden doesn't do remotely as well as yours. I wish I had half your green thumb!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 pm 

Darcie wrote:
I wish I had half your green thumb!

Ditto.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

Impessive. Unfortunately, here we don't have the cold snaps. Which means that any leafy greens get devoured by earwigs and aphids. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:36 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Dave,

Impessive. Unfortunately, here we don't have the cold snaps. Which means that any leafy greens get devoured by earwigs and aphids. :-(

And rabbits! That's what I have trouble with, once things are uncovered, and weather gets nice.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 am 

Great list, Dave!! Thanks so much for sharing. I went out yesterday to try to remove some of the large debris from my garden (first time it's been visible since December due to snow) and found parsley and oregano!! I've found that kale does pretty well in winter - just the regular curly leaf variety. Off topic, my absolute favorite "green" to grow in spring is Osaka Purple Mustard from Cook's Garden. It's delicious and unstopppable!