Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bread making tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:55 pm 

Ilene,

I actually developed this from a 2 loaf recipe. I make 4 and freeze 3 in ziploc bags. Just cut those values in half and it should work fine to make two. You'll notice the cup measures are almost all in even numbers.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:19 pm 

Thanks Tim.. I will do that and hopefully share a photo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 pm 

This is the bread I made by halving Tim's recipe. The loaf follows Tim's directions; the round was made using a technique I learned at a Slow Food baking class held at the Denver Regional Whole Food Bakehouse. It involves preheating a sheet pan in the oven and letting the final rise occur in a cloche sprinkled with whole wheat flour. When ready to bake, you place the round (turned rightside up) onto the sheet pan and cover with a large stainless bowl. The theory is that the moisture captured in the bowl as the dough heats up, replicates a moisture infused baking oven. I love the result.

The loaf is going to a friend who just got out of the hospital, with a jar of my rasberry jam.

Thanks Tim....love the recipe.

PS...at this altitude, and since we haven't been able to buy a raindrop or a snowflake around here for a few months, I had to add almost one cup of additional water to get a "wet" dough. I love no humidity, except when baking.

ilene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 pm 

gardnercook wrote:
I love no humidity, except when baking.

Amen sistah...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 am 

Ilene,

I never would have thought to bake that recipe as a round. I love it! Somehow whole wheat sandwich bread is always baked in a loaf pan in my head. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Your flour seems lighter than mine, as your loaf is lighter than mine usually turns out.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 am 

Thanks for this, Tim, I'm going to work on it this week. One question -- do you have a preference for honey over sugar? Demerara sugar over white? Or does it make a difference?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 am 

Lindsay,

I generally use brown sugar. I make it so often that I'll go through a lot of honey. It might be why my bread is darker than Ilene's. I tend to go with darker sugars (i.e., demerara instead of white) but I would be awfully surprised if you noticed much of a taste difference. If you try both, I'd be interested to know what you find.

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 pm 

I did use honey and the flours are both KA. The taste is great, much milder than the WW bread I typically buy. I would definitely make it again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 pm 

Didn't get to try this yet, but am looking to it tomorrow or Sat.
Thanks, tim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 pm 

Just took 3 loaves out of the oven--I halved the recipe but with the added 1 cup of cereal had enough for three loaves. Really, really good, especially with some elderberry honey I have. I've got a loaf of Peter Reinhart's whole wheat sandwich bread in the freezer which I'm defrosting and going to do a taste test tomorrow. Will also post some photos. Overall, very exciting, especially since it just fit so beautifully in the day's activities. Oh, if you don't mind, a few nits about the way the recipe was written -- ingredients should be in the order they're used and it would have been helpful to specify the size of pans needed (I used both small and medium -- the medium was a little too large)--and an estimate of baking time would have been helpful, but 35 - 40 minutes seemed to work well. Really looking forward to trying it as toast as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next