Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sous Vide...ah me...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 am 

Geez, after following this thread for a very long time and dragging my feet because I really didn't want to buy another small appliance, I put my order in this morning for the new Anova. I have a prime rib in the fridge air drying for Easter and thought I would try it in the water bath.
After giving it a second thought, it probably would be wise to start my learning curve on something less pricey.
And anyway, the new Anova is temporarily out of stock.
But I'd like to know if you would cook prime rib this way (?)

Alina, thanks for the tip on the Sous Vide cookbook, I'm going to order mine just as you did since I rely heavily on LC!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 am 

Well..... maybe. Sous vide will hold you meat to temp perfectly; the thing is, medium rare does not render fat. So a meat with a lot of internal fat will end up having the fat kinda solid in there. External fat is different, because in the searing off the the fat will render out quite a bit, which makes it nice. So it depends on the meat. That said, I've seen a lot of people with prime rib sous vide recipes, typically finished in a very hot oven to give it some 'crust' without over doing the inside. It will definitely result in the most evenly, perfectly cooked ever. Note that you will have to have it in a long time due to the thickness; I'd definitely consult some recipes (designed for sous vide) on it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:51 am 

Paul, thank you for your very good advice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:31 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Jean,

I think I have some immersion weights left. If you speak up now, some of my coworkers are going to Montreal next week.

Not sure how I missed this. What sizes do you have? Hubby is going to Chicago soon and I want a salt pig for my sister (sans logo) so great timing- will pm you to work out details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:35 am 

I may be interested in the weights as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:33 am 

Whew. I finally read all this. I am very excited about finally having a stable way to make yogurt! There is a recipe in the Anova app.

I'm wanting to do rib eyes sat or Sunday. Are bone-in okay? 1 1/2-2 inch thick?

I'd also love a rundown on sv carrots. It looks like I'll be going with the ziploc method until I settle on a better method.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 am 

Rib eyes are one of the trickiest steaks; they have a lot of fat in them, and the fat doesn't render at all in SV. I'd cook them to a lower temp then normal, and sear extra hard to get render some fat and give that rib-eye experience.

Carrots, here is one way:
Quote:
INGREDIENTS
500 g Carrots
a/n Vegetable oil
DIRECTIONS
Peel carrots if desired.
Package with a little oil or butter, just enough to keep the carrots from sticking to each other.
If using rainbow carrots, separate by color so they don't
bleed.
Cook sous vide at 194 °F / 90 °C for 15-25 minutes.
Check the texture after 15 minutes. When the carrots bend a bit, they're ready. Serve whole, or cut into desired shapes, and season.
Or, quickly caramelize in a hot pan with butter and thyme. Add an exotic flavor by replacing the thyme with ground coriander seed, a touch of cumin, and a bit of orange zest.

I usually cook a bunch of meal-sized packets, chill and store in the fridge, then lightly warm (or caramelize depending on my mood) in a pan when I want to serve. Only takes a few minutes at serve time.

Chef steps I think had a recent article on carrots too, I'll see if I can find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am 

Awesome. I love whole cooked carrots.

I forgot to ask about shish kebabs. Would I do the meat by itself and then just skewer the veg separately, grill them, and then finish the meat kebabs on the grill?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:30 am 

I've never tried kebabs SV; I like the variation in texture from blasting them into orbit on charcoal; however, I might be the wrong person to ask since I almost always do veg and meat separate except for carefully sized onions and mushrooms; I find otherwise something gets seriously over/under done.

Turns out that recipe was the Chef Steps one. Someone had done a recent thing on keeping carrots fairly firm while fully cooked while using SV, but can't remember who it was. The one I posted is very lovely and has a great texture, and carrot flavour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 pm 

The more I look online at SV recipes and posts, the gladder (is that even a word? :roll:) I am that I took the plunge on the Anova last week. Am hoping I'll be able to really take advantage of its potential. There's definitely a lot to learn. The main thing I've noticed so far is that most recipes give a range for how long to cook things, and I always like precise instructions. I might actually have to use my intuition. Oh no.

Anyway, this post yesterday from Kenji is perfect timing!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

Emilie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next