Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sous Vide...ah me...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 am 

Seafood of any sort. Lobster is wonderful - so tender! Just put a little butter in the bag with the meat.
My new favorite is halibut = @132F for 20 minutes.
Look back through the threads. The suggestions I got here for duck confit were spot on.
It even makes a great burger.
Play with the temps a bit - I find my favorite beef setting is 129F - somewhere between rare & mid-rare, but not blue. YMMV

I have Under Pressure, and Amy is right. I don't find much that's adaptable for dinner for 2 of us. Maybe a dinner party with 2 days prep time.
The Sous Vide Supreme website has a great recipe section. They are very realistic when it comes to suggested temps & cook times.

Often when I get a new toy, the novelty wears off, and it quickly gets relegated to occasional use. But the SV is so perfect for me that I'm using it at least 3-4 times per week. Since I sometimes work long hours, I can bag the food the night before and leave a sticky note with time & temp instructions. When I get home. all I have to do is sear/finish/sauce and dinner is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:05 am 

I have a pamphlet that came with my PolyScience circulator citing times/temps per Keller. I find it useful as a point of reference. Mostly I do find Keller's recommendations to be pretty accurate, but for something I'm trying for the first time, I do google to see what other people are doing.

I also adapt recipes that are not meant to be SV. For example, when I made Chicken Dopiaza a couple of weeks ago, I SV'd the chicken thighs (boneless/skinless) whole, and then cut them into 3/4" cubes. I did a quick sear on them and then added the spices to bloom. I pretty much circumvented the need for the braise. Turned out really well.

I also frequently just do a cook session with a number of different things (starting with highest temp item, and working my way down), shock them when cooked and hold them in the fridge. Then, when I'm ready to finish, I throw the item into the circulator at a lower temp than what cooked at...reheats it, without further cooking it.

For catering, I absolutely rely on SV. Makes my life SO much easier.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am 

I also use a SV app on my iPhone which has pretty reasonable times/temps for a variety of proteins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 am 

Which one?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:47 pm 

This one:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sous-vi ... 60050?mt=8

Not perfect, but handy. Their fish temps are too low but i always think that for every source.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm 

Okay, threads it is, thanks for the feedback.

As I mentioned we have huge Caribbean lobster tails in our local Sam's, which are about 1/2 LB each. They are probably an inch thick at the base. I think I will start with those when the device comes in a week or two.

Also, the Nomiku people have set up http;//bagsoakeat.com which is just a highlevel aggregation of things they have found online. It has zero information on food thickness, no information on adding spices, butter, etc. It may be good for those of you with more experience than I have here.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:29 pm 

Lisa,

I vote you send me things I can't get, e.g., 1/2 lb. lobster tails, and I send you things you can't get...I'm in an agricultural state.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:34 pm 

Amy,

Trading is always good. Visiting is better! But if you need Caribbean or Latin American spices or foodstuffs, let me know. I ship cheap than Amazon. :) I could probably ship Lobster tails two day air with dry ice. Not sure what the postal service rules are on that, but I could find out.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 pm 

I have a very basic question here... how do you know what temperature you want to use cook your food? I am looking at the tables for fish (using Nathan M's tables from eGullet as I keep reading that Baldwin overcooks food), trying to figure this out.

Let's take my lobster tails for an example. Assuming my tails are exactly 2" thick I find this information in the tables:

Bath C Bath F mm inch Cook time Rest time Core C Core F
46 114.8 50 1.97 02 : 05 : 58 00 : 04 : 34 44.9 112.8
47 116.6 50 1.97 01 : 46 : 32 00 : 05 : 04 44.8 112.7
50 122.0 50 1.97 01 : 19 : 14 00 : 05 : 54 44.4 111.9

Is just trial and error to see which bath temp I want to use? Try the middle one first and if it is over or under cooked for my taste adjust accordingly the next time? Or is there a more scientific answer that I am just completely missing?

Thanks for your patience,.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:17 am 

Lisa,

No, you're not missing anything. Those are quite big lobster tails. Keller recommends 145 for 15 minutes for a thickness of 1". I usually don't go that high, more like 140. But I'm also dealing with much smaller tails.

I've not followed NM's times/temps, but I certainly would trust him.

I do find there is more diversity on seafood times/temps than many other foods, except maybe some long cook applications.

You might want to bag your tails separately and try a couple of different recommends to see what you like. Not the answer I think you were hoping for, but I'm sure SS, wino and Paul will weigh in.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next