Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prime ribs sous vide using Sansaire
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 pm 

We just got our Sansaire today. DH has requested a prime rib roast for his birthday March 1. He likes it medium rare, but also loves the seasoned part. I would use a reasonable size Costco roast so he'd have leftovers.

I was thinking I could cook the roast sous vide and maybe add some seasoning to the roast gets seasoned? I looked online but did not get any real info other than using a blowtorch to sear after cooking. He has a blowtorch, will have to check on the fuel type.

As usual, any help with times, seasoning, techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, I've made it before in the oven and it's been ok I guess, the best part was the Yorkshire pudding under it. So DH had the meat and I ate the pudding and a small piece of the end. TIA

PS, reading Modernist Cuisine now. Does it made a difference if the container is a Cambro or a DO?

Post subject: Re: Prime ribs sous vide using Sansaire
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am 

Alina,

How many ribs are you planning to do? That would help determine length of cook.

I've not done prime rib SV, but for beef I generally go for around 130 for medium rare. It will look more rare, but it won't be. And I'd not use a blow torch. Just sear after your cook in a screaming mad-hot cast iron skillet or a well pre-heated broiler.

As for a vessel, DOs are too shallow. I typically use one of my stock pots, but break out my cambro for large quantity. I don't know what the Sansaire is rated to in terms of # of gallons it can control, so just know you need to take that into consideration.

Also, it's important to protect your unit from steam, especially for long cooks. They'll fry if too much moisture gets into the electronics. I cover the top of my vessel (and around the base of my circulator) with film to keep the heat in the vessel and the steam away from my unit. Hope that makes sense.

With regards to seasoning in the bag, it really depends on what I'm making as to how I approach this. Sometimes adding salt in the bag can end up making the food taste cured, but this is generally only true for items that require a longer cook. Usually, however I add some kind of fat, appropriate herbs, and S&P.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm 

Thank you so much Amy. I have no clue as to how big since it has been years since I bought one. I will post again when I have it. I have a week to use the machine to get used to it. DH plans to cook some steaks we have in the freezer to try it. I have a 12 QT. Pasta pot and a 23 QT canner that I use to make stock. I assume either would work. I have several cambros but they all seem too small. The capacity is 22 liters (5.8 gallons).

The Sansaire seems pretty well protected, but I will research your points. It is so pretty btw. Here are links to Serious Eats review and Comparison in case anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 am 

I am supposed to get my Sansaire on Thursday (weather depending...supposed to get another big snow tonight :( ). Can't wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 pm 

Great Darcie, I hope it gets there. I'll be excited to hear what you make first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm 

The PolyScience is also well protected, but regardless, it can be an issue with any circulator. Just protect it from steam.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:10 pm 

Thanks, Amy, I always appreciate and try to follow your advice. But this time I am flummoxed. Are you saying I should I cover the bottom of the unit in Glad wrap and use it to cover the pot as well? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:14 pm 

I thought my advice might be confusing...

Once you clip your unit on the side of your vessel, take some film and cover the top of the vessel so the SV unit is protected from the steam. Does that make more sense?

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:33 pm 

It'll also use less power (keeps heat in) and greatly reduce evaporation on long cooks, especially high temperature cooks like confit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 pm 

Thanks Paul...another great reason.

Amy