Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SV Pork Loin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

I've never tried it, so can't really comment. I will say that the broiler doesn't work as fast as one would expect. I think searing is easier with leaner cuts, as you don't have so much concern with getting the chunkier bits of fat to render up a little, and contact is typically easier too, that that part varies. I think amy has more experience in the bigger cuts area so hopefully will weigh in (and isn't a torch fan IIRC).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:08 am 

Paul is correct I'm not a torch fan. Never used one to finish as I find searing in a very hot cast iron the best way to brown. If you are going to finish in the oven I'd recommend using a cast iron griddle (if you have one) pre-heated and done under the broiler. You want to finish quickly as you do not want to cook it any further.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 pm 

Thanks Amy and Paul. I do have a not-so-big cast iron griddle but also have a larger cast iron pan that I may try to use. I really appreciate your input. Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:16 pm 

Amy,

Thanks so much for your post! I just tried it and it was great. Only brined it for an hour (2 qts water, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar) and had it in the water bath for probably 6 hours (OK, I was late coming home from Xmas shopping!).

Seared in a cast iron skillet (yes, on the electric smooth top) and then made a similar pan sauce to what you suggested. Delicious!!!

Did stay with the 140 degrees that you did - which was fine. The two of us ate about 1/3 of what was there so I resealed everything. Don't know if this was right or not but I put the pan sauce into the bag with the meat and then resealed. My new foodsaver (the sous vide sealer just died) pulled out some of the liquid but most stayed in the bag. My new foodsaver (v3800 something or the other) has a drip pan which collects it - rather than it going into the machine itself).

Another question - the roast was done at 6:30 and we didn't want to eat until 8-8:30. I chilled it down when it was done (6:30) and then reheated it about 30 minutes before we ate (at around 120 degrees). Do you think this was necessary or do you think I could have let it continue to sit in the water bath at 140 (or even 120). Thanks for such a great recipe!

Have a Merry Xmas and a very healthy and happy New Year!

Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am 

1.2 pound pork tenderloin 'brined' for 4 hours at room temperature in the following: 1 cup soy sauce, 6 garlic toes, 1" raw, unpeeled ginger - all combined in a small blender for 30-40 seconds. Rinse well, dry with paper towels, vac. pack (used Food Saver). SV for 2 hours at 135F, remove, blot dry, and pan sear in butter for 1 minute on each of 4 sides - serve. Also, spectacularly excellent the next day when served cold, sliced VERY thin and accompanied with cheeses, baguette, etc. and maybe some wine... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 pm 

Never heard them called "toes" before.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm 

What are garlic toes? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 am 

Okay.... Do you really want to start the new year learin' from Wino?? Originally from California, single garlic cloves were always called 'toes', but my web search indicates that this may be more regional than than even I realized. What do YOU call individual cloves??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:32 am 

Quote:
What do YOU call individual cloves??

Mmmm... garlic cloves? The full thing is a bulb or head (though that is kinda weird, cause unless the plant was standing on its head....). The individual bits are cloves (cloved from the whole thing, perhaps?). You might be just having me on here, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 am 

wino wrote:
What do YOU call individual cloves??

Um...cloves. :roll:

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next