Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The American Cheese Slice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 am 

Andy and I have both been sick for what seems like forever. (The creeping crud has been making its way around town.) Last night we decided grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup would be the perfect dinner. I used that as an excuse to make American Cheese from Modernist Cuisine. omg...is it outstanding. Basically made from swiss and cheddar, it melts perfectly. Easy to make and really tasty.

Amy

Post subject: Re: The American Cheese Slice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 am 

One of my all time favorite meals. Bread of choice is seeded rye and cheese is Swiss.
fitzie

ps - sorry to hear you're down. Hope it goes away soon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 am 

Is it similar to the Serious Eats technique?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm 

No, it's not. Basically you dissolve some iota carrageenan, kappa carrageenan and sodium citrate in water over heat to fully disperse it, then you use an immersion blender to melt the swiss and cheddar into it. Pour it into a mold and refrigerate. My pâté terrine was the perfect shape, I simply created a dam in order to get the correct height.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 pm 

Hope you feel well soon Amy. I love tomato soup and I like grilled cheese sandwiches, though when sick with upper respiratory crud, I crave Campbells original Chicken noodle soup not any other chicken soup including my own versions.

When my son was about 8 months and my daughter a little over 3, we ran out of gas in Scotland, luckily right in front of the B&B.The owners heard us as we used the last to get up the driveway and felt sorry for us. She made us tomato soup and the best grilled cheese sandwiches even though they normally did not serve dinner and it was around 9:00 pm. Since then for me, that combo has signified the relief of avoided catastrophe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 pm 

Hello Amy, sorry you are feeling poorly and do hope that you recover quickly. The Modernist version sounds intriguing but but finding all those ingredients would be a challenge, except perhaps the sodium citrate. Out of curiosity, have you done the Serious Eats version? We do it two or three times a month. Depending on the various cheeses we choose, we can get very mild or quite tangy slices of varying thicknesses depending upon the pan we use and the amount we make.

We also control the "runniness" of the slices by the amount of evaporated milk and gelatin we use, but it has to be balanced to the type and maker of the cheese. We get tangy slices that come apart with a stern look for scrambled eggs or omelets and thicker slicers that droop languidly over a hot burger. By varying between mild and aged cheddar, Red Leicester and Double Gloucester, we get a nice range of flavors, though we surely don't have the wonderful selection open to you.

Like your Modernist approach, we hit the SE version with the stick blender, though I'm not so sure why. It does aerate the sauce, but I don't know why we Don Ho it full tiny bubbles. A half-sheet, jelly roll pan fills nicely with 500 grams of cheese, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of evap, and the obligatory tablespoon or so of gelatin producing a couple dozen burger sized slices. Good stuff and I can only imagine what the genius of the authors of Modernist Cuisine have lifted the slice to. Would you, when you are feeling better, elaborate?

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines