Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another chicken technique...kinda fried
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:14 am 

The soy sauce calculation only reflects the amount of Sodium, while the other calculations are using salt. Since NaCl is about 40% Sodium and 60% Chlorine, the adjustment to show the whole salt molecule would raise the salt concentration of soy sauce to about 16%. [1000 mg of Sodium converts to 2.5 grams of salt per 15 grams of Soy Sauce]

Your other calculations are correct. CI uses about a 7.5% salt solution for their quick brine formula and half that for their longer brine or high heat formula.

Curiously, the long brine proportions, at 3.75%, are almost identical to the average salinity of seawater.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 pm 

I knew I was missing something. I was actually going by trial and error in my kitchen. I tasted the CI recommended solution (which for me was already too salty in the resulting chicken, etc.) and tasted the Kikkoman's and diluted by halves until it 'seemed' proper. Then I brined and cooked whatever until I got the results I liked - moist white meat and not salty tasting at all. I was only looking for moistness as I rarely cook with salt unless I want to ferry the seasonings into the meat.

THANKS for the clarifications; highschool chemistry was a looooong time ago :lol: :D :!:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 pm 

A trip to your eye care professional would not be out of order either. The "38" on nutrition panel of your Kikkoman is % daily value of sodium. A geezer may remember that as Recommended Daily Allowance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:42 pm 

OUCH! :o My bad...

However, 920 mg per 15 ml (about 1 tablespoon), according to the label, is one helluva lot of sodium. AND (as I crawl back under my rock) I fall back on my previous comment that I was always working on taste only not numbers. I threw in the numbers to 'try' to help that foreigner in SE Asia with my experiences with brining. The end product on the table with Kikkoman's and feathered critters makes me happy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:25 pm 

Jim262, Thank you for the clarification and particularly for pointing out the fundamental difference between the salt in brine and the sodium in the label, something I was completely oblivious to. Plus I did the math for the shorter duration brine, while Wino's recommendation really should have been compared to the CI longer duration brine.

Wino, don't sweat the small stuff, if your math was inventive, your taste buds are quite reliable I'm sure, and that is what you cook with. I tend to like things a bit salty and I am always toning it down some so I don't over salt for the folks I cook for. And soy sauce is darn salty, whether Kikkoman or Silver Swan. Courtesy of your initial innovation, I have a new approach, and thanks to Jim262, we both have a better idea of what the numbers actually are. I might have just gone for the 6 percent or so brine (or what I thought was a 6 percent brine) oblivious to the real numbers and probably just as oblivious to the two different brine concentrations CI recommended. So at least one potential disaster skirted.

If I go for the long brine, I will dilute the Silver Swan down to something approaching the salinity of the ocean, if not more, and probably closer to your recommendation, wino.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 pm 

In the kitchen, taste buds trump math skills every time. If you are using Soy Sauce with roughly 1000mg of sodium per Tbs the dilutions with water result in brine strength of...

1:1 8%
1:2 5%
1:3 4%
1:4 3%

so ...one liter of soy sauce mixed with four liters of water results in five liters of 3% brine that may be enough for a small turkey and suitable for light, long brine.