Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marinated Hanger Steak Ssam w/Ghetto Sous Vide
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm 

Made this tonight. More or less original instructions below. We didn't have lettuce, sub'd W sauce for the ginger-scallion sauce (which is basically ginger, scallion and light soy plus a bit here and there) and I used a sous-vide set-up instead of tap-water, and I used a chamber vac instead of zip-lock bags, but I include the original ghetto instructions here for those who wish to experiment, cause I've done very similar using tap water and zip-lock bags....

Very very excellent. I've had hanger steak at L'Express, and it was fantastic, but super, super beefy to the point where my wife is only so-so. This one has a ton of flavour, but not quite to that extent. The Kimchi was surprisingly good with steak, I'd never have guessed (and yes it is pureed)

The intended service is as a wrap (hence ssam), with the lettuce providing the wrapper.

===============
Marinated Hanger Steak Ssam

INGREDIENTS:

Hanger Steak
- 2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup usukuchi (light soy sauce)
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 8-ounce hanger steak
Accompaniments
- 1 cup Napa Cabbage Kimchi, pureed
- 1 cup Ginger Scallion Sauce
- 2 cups Short-Grain Rice
- 2 Heads Bibb Lettus, Seperated, spun dry
- Sea Salt

METHOD:

1. Marinate the steaks individually, each with a portion of the marinade in its own high quality Ziploc (or comparable brand) freezer bag. (Cheap plastic bags are made with cheap plastic; avoid them.) Force as much air out of the bags as possible when you seal the steaks and marinade inside. (Tien used to slick the air out of bags with a straw, though he's found that submerging the bag in water while sealng it-using the water to squeeze the air out of the bag-works best.)

2. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

3. The next day, put the largest pot you own into a sink that you don't need to use for an hour. Overfill the pot with hot water from the tap and, using a digital instant-read thermometer, take the temperature of the water-both what's coming out of the tap and what's in the pot-making sure to measure it in a few different places and at a few depths. Adjust the tapwater until you've got the water in the pot at a reliable temperature somewhere between 1200 and 125°F.

4. Take the steaks in their bags from the fridge and put them directly in the warm-water bath. Use the thermometer to monitor and adjust the temperature of the bath and keep it at a steady temperature in the desired range for 45 minutes, adding water as necessary. You may need to keep a steady trickle of water running into the pot to do so, or you might be able to pull it off by refreshing and replenishing the bath every 5 or 10 minutes. That's between you and your faucet.

5. After 45 minutes, prepare an ice bath in a big pot or mixing bowl.

6. Snag your steaks from the warm water and plunge them into the ice bath. Chill them down for 20 or so minutes, then transfer them to the refrigerator. You can hold the cooked steaks in the fridge until dinner is almost ready-up to 3 or 4 hours (the marinade is still working). To cook, remove the steaks from their bags, discard the marinade, and pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Char the outsides evenly and fully over a blazing-hot fire in a grill or in a ripping-hot cast-iron pan on the stove, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes a side. Rest, slice, and serve as with accompaniments.
SERVINGS: 4
SOURCE: Momofoku

===============

Post subject: Re: Marinated Hanger Steak Ssam w/Ghetto Sous Vide
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:31 am 

Sounds really good. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Amy

Post subject: Re: Marinated Hanger Steak Ssam w/Ghetto Sous Vide
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:03 am 

Sounds great! I have trouble finding hanger and skirt steak here. I do have a new source though. If I sweet talk the butcher at our little meat market, he may save me one. I can't wait to try SV. Time has not been on my side lately. But soon.

Thanks for the info Paul.

Laurie