Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Floating vacuum bags
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:17 am 

As much as I try to get all the air out, some of my vacuum bags are still "floaters". Their bouyancy can be so great that if I put them in the rack that came with the Sous Vide Supreme, that the whole rack can float! When this happens, the rack tilts and the bags that have been inserted become loose (floating to the top). Alternately, the rack kind of stays in place but the bag at the top is partially above the water line.

I've tried a variety of methods for getting all the air out of the bag.... I've got that sous vide vacuum sealer (which is not working particularly well for bigger bags), an inexpensive gadget made by FreshSaver (which believe it or not - does quiet a good job of getting the air out usually), and have used that method whereby you immerse the bag in water and seal it as the pressure of the water expels the air). The FreshSaver gadget is my best option but even there I have some problems.

So, am I doing something wrong here? Should I find some weight to anchor the bags in the water bath? In the end, does it matter if there is a little bit of air in the bag and/or if the top of the bag breaks the water surface?

Gerard

Post subject: Re: Floating vacuum bags
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 am 

Are they floating right away, or after cooking sometime? The latter case happens particularly with veggies at higher temps (though not all of them) and meat sometimes at higher temps. If it is the former, then I think just a better sealer. The foodsaver one should work pretty well. One thing with a foodsaver; I try to help it along some by pressing air out so it has less work. Also, what bags are you using? Some 'third party' bags are poor quality, air channel wise.

A little air in the bag is not fatal, but I think you don't want any part of the food or airspace above the surface of the water; it will likely drop in temp there quite a bit. On a few trouble bags, I've put a plate in the bath over the bags to hold them down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 am 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding!

Yeah, I have noticed that vegetable-containing bags expand - particularly broccoli. OMG, one time I thought I had helium ballons in there! On the other hand, brussel sprouts seemed not to have a similar problem. I'm assuming gases are emitted during cooking and there's nothing that can be done about that (other than choosing which veggies you sous vide very carefully).

Over the weekend, I cooked corn sous vide - and some of the bags floated a bit - more or less right from the start (and yes, the temperature was high - about 180 degrees). On occassion, I've had the same problem with proteins but not consistently so.

For the most part, I've been using the FoodSaver bags (the ones that have an opening on the front where you attach the FS vacuum sealer). More recently (i.e. this weekend) - the bags were a combination of FoodSaver bags and these pouches that are available via SVP for the Sous Vide Supreme sealer. The pouches are on a roll and require sealing on top and bottom.

Any thought on whether it's worth getting some type weight?

Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:05 am 

I think it is definitely worth using a weight, but I just grab whatever is close by...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am 

Hi Paul,

Yeah - I've had a few almost comical circumstances when applying weights. Most the times the weights aren't heavy enough or wind up floating around on their own. I put a cooling rack and/or a plate on the top - assuming that they would have little mobility but somehow, they consistently got tipped to the side from the bags pressing up from underneath(!) .... and one time (for better or worse), I put a meat pounder on top of a bag but the meat pounder just wouldn't stay down!

Yeah - I think I might get a small "paper" weight or try to "tether" any floaters by putting a clip on the top of the bag and tying it with kitchen twine to the bottom "grill".

Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am 

Some people vac-pack some stainless steel balls (clean, of course) with the food.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am 

Or ceramic weights...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 am 

Or marbles, I remember, which are great as they are cheap, dishwasher safe and impermeable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 am 

Ceramic weights! Why didn't I think of that - great idea!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 am 

Or you could trap them in a bowl. Glass ones should be heavy enough.