Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking time for different grades of beef
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:05 pm 

Any thoughts on whether SV cooking time varies as a function of the grade of beef that is being used (prime, choice, select)?

I think I read somewhere that prime beef needs a much briefer cooking time than other grades. But unfortunately, I can't figure out where I saw that, what the reasoning behind it was, whether its worthwhile, and most importantly - whether its accurate.

Gerard

Post subject: Re: Cooking time for different grades of beef
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm 

Highly marbled cuts, IMO, don't actually SV all that well. The fat gets soft, but does not render at all. You end up with something a little odd, and not as pleasant as a conventionally cooked steak. That said, a really good searing can help offset it. Still, I find SV generally works better with less marbled steaks. That can be a less then prime cut, or a leaner prime cut. Lean, highly flavored ones work especially well but need long cooking. Of course, you can cook days in advance, then just warm the day of serving. Just my taste.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm 

Thanks Paul, that makes total sense. Last question (well, you never know) but any thoughts on whether aging (wet or dry) would make a difference?

Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm 

I haven't mucked with it, but aging, in my mind has two effects: rotting the meat (in a good way), which alters flavour and improves texture, and reducing moisture (concentrating flavors). Of these, SV can take care of the texture, but the others should still be improved by aging. I think I'll have to experiment a little.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 am 

Gerard wrote:
Thanks Paul, that makes total sense. Last question (well, you never know) but any thoughts on whether aging (wet or dry) would make a difference?

Gerard

Gerald,

Wet aging has minimal effect of cooking time. Dry aging should (I should say "could") have a significant effect but, I think the SV process results in very slow temp increase. This provides a large window of opportunity relating to target temp.

Tim

Last edited by Tim on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:36 am 

I had presumed that Gerard meant cooking time as relates to hitting a specific texture, not just "cooked"; for example, flank is typically cooked from between 8-24 hours. Now I read Tim's message, I see I could have misinterpreted it. If it is as Tim takes it (just getting to temp), no aging would make very little difference in SV as I don't think it would make a big difference in thermal conductivity, which is generally all that matters for a given mass/size/shape.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 pm 

Some interesting related information.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm 

Tim and Paul - thanks for your responses. I think I'm actually going to try an experiment comparing two different grades of skirt steak some time next week. I'll let you know what happens.

And Paul - that egullet link is amazing. I think that that thread just might gain traction and possibly take on a life of its own - much the way the SV thread did.

Gerard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 am 

This reminds me of what seems to happen to me, I could swear that different cuts must be cooked to different temps to turn out medium rare.

One example is a tri tip. It seems to get more well done looking than a sirloin cooked to the same temp (say 125 when it comes off the grill, then rest under foil).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 am 

easy bake wrote:

One example is a tri tip. It seems to get more well done looking than a sirloin cooked to the same temp (say 125 when it comes off the grill, then rest under foil).

Actually this makes sense, although I cannot articulate my thinking. Help Paul, we need thermodynamic logic.

It has something to do with carry-over differences from the grain (cross vs straight), density (high vs low), moisture or thickness.

Tim