Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sous Vide...ah me...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:18 am 

Last night I did a beef heart for 12 hours at 175, finished with a longish sear the last night for some very nice Peruvian Anticuchos. Keller recommended sous vide heart for 24 hours but I knew this would be on the grill for a few mins and I didn't want to over cook. I was quite happy with it.

Although I don't like cleaning heart it is a nice, beefy and dense meat, very low in fat and high in amino acids.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 am 

We are apparently on a offal kick... tonight I wanted to try some chicken hearts I picked up super cheap. I found a recommendation of 56C for 30 mins from a random guy on a board, but nothing else. anyone have any thoughts?

Similar to the beef heart I may skewer them and will put them on a very hot pan for a sec to sear.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm 

I am amused I have apparently found the one thing no one but me is interested in :P But the hearts were quite good, we liked them. I used a Brazilian style marinade, sous vide as mentioned and then a quick sear for some malliard reaction. Not bad for $1.56 for dinner for two.

Don't let me kill the sous vide thread. I'll stop talking about organ meats, I promise.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm 

Actually, the hearts interest me, but they would require some calling around and searching to source here. Butchery is in hard shape in Ontario, for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 am 

That is too bad. We don't get anything too esoteric, but they have heart, liver, tongue and sometimes kidney in my local supermarket. They have much more out there stuff at the local ethnic market including uteri and tripe.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 pm 

I came across this idea today: sous vide dulce de leche:a standard 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk straight in the pot, with the label off. for 12 hours at 185F.

You need to be careful that you have ever scrap of paper off so that nothing miniscule comes off and kills your circulator - I would actually put the entire can in a bag or empty into a vac sealed mason jar. Also, be very certain that you are not going to run out of water, so probably not a good idea over night.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 am 

Heck, I just do that with a regular pot and condensed milk cans. Once a neighbor of ours had the can explode-worst clean up job ever, what with getting caramel off of the ceiling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 am 

Becky, that is how I normally do it too. I was thinking if I used a big enough pot this would be a lot less likely to run dry and explode!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:15 pm 

I need a pot for small sous vide runs. It needs to be 12" tall, but could be as small as 6 or 7" in diameter. I have a stock pot for larger items but I don't want to waste that much water to do a sidedish of glazed carrots, for instance. I am using a 12 cup 4th burner pot, which I use for canning as well, but it isn't quite tall enough and I end up having to wedge a spoon in the Nomiku to get it high enough to properly draw water.

Thanks for any ideas,

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:49 am 

can you use the water to wash dishes or water plants?

fitzie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next