Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Anecdotes from TOBB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am 

Okay, folks, put your favorite links here, for all to enjoy. As easy as the old board is (now) to navigate, this could take years.
On 4/7/2004 8:47:16 AM bmalloy wrote:

Well, I made the coconut cream pie on Monday night. And finally got to taste it last night. It was excellent! It was also very quick and easy to make.

----------------

Easy????...I too made the rum, banana version of the pie last night....allow me to share.

First thing I noticed was I needed rum...this is a problem for a Baptist...You see it's like this.

Atheist's do not acknowledge any Deity.

The Jewish religion does not acknowledge Christ as the Messiah.

Baptists do not acknowledge each other in the liquor store.

OK so I drive to the liquor store...look carefully around...nope...no church members in site...dash into the store...so far so good...keeping my back to the glass to conceal identity to passing motorist...think to myself.."This is dumb, my Company name is on the side of my truck parked in front of liquor store."

I "score" and dash back to the truck and think of what one of my Catholic buddies told me one time..he said.."I never take one Baptist fishing...they drink all your beer ya gotta take two...they keep each other in line."

Now it's off to the grocery store...list in hand...unsweetened coconut.....nope...I summon a youthful lookin lad..."young man..sez I. do you have any unsweetened coconut"...He gives me a look sorta like a calf looking at a new gate.."after leaving to check he returns and sez "no sir....we don't carry unsweetened coconut"...I sigh....and thank him.

OK...a set back...not a problem...I get on my cell phone and call several different grocery stores....same response..."no sir we don't carry unsweetened coconut".....The words of The Cook's Editor echoing in my head..."this is the best desert I ever ate"....I am more determined than ever at this point...I go to the produce isle.....Ah Haa!...fresh coconut.....I can do this!

Groceries in hand I head for the house to make this "Nectar of the Gods" As I enter my castle I realize...this is Tuesday.....Tuesday is when my Queen has her weekly Mary Kay (bondo) gathering!...Not a problem...I will not be deterred!..I shut the doors between the kitchen and where she is meeting.....I look at the coconut...strangely enough...it's looking back at me...almost defiantly....as I was to soon realize was not totally without merit. I jab a pair of scissors into one of the glaring eyes and drain the milk into the awaiting bowl....lots of little black pieces of shell...no problem..I'll strain that later....I take out the cleaver a give it a whack...then another...gonna have to hit this thing a little harder...WHACK...the door opens...my wife is glaring at me....Now out in the garage, I continue my assault on this armour plated object with a claw hammer....Success!

Back in the house I pry the meat of the coconut out of the shell and slowly peel the remaining brown husk away from the meat...and begin to ponder how I will shred this thing....food processor,,,na....I got it...I bought one of those razor sharp zesters last month and have not gotten to use it...nows the time!

As I begin I can tell this ain't gonna be easy....as I grate away I look in the bowl?? Coconut is not supposed to pink??...Did I mention "razor sharp"...I dig the flesh out of the bowl and proceed.

OK I need to make the crust....animal crackers, check...coconut, check....put the ingredients in the food processor and turn on......what's this???...the little animals are screaming???....nope...my wife is behind me reminding me of her little get together.....OK now I'm in the laundry room continuing to process my crust ....now where is that 9" Pyrex pie plate.....gone!...not a problem...I got an 8" Pyrex baking dish...ought to work just fine...put in the crust...put crust in oven and proceed to make carmel...hum...never made carmel before....but hey I AM Da Bull Man...Looks simple nuff....sugar water bubbling just fine....turning a beautiful amber color.....look at recipe...sez..add milk..."it will bubble up"...Ok here goes..."SWEET MOTHER OF....!!!!! (Wife glaring at me through door again) Wasn't prepared for that heh heh...more like a volcanic eruption.

OK got that done....made the custard w/o event and assembled pie and placed in ref to cool at 11:00...got up too late to complete the pie....Kitchen a total disaster.....wife....We will be speaking again soon I'm sure.

:lol:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/pos ... eater1-p=1
Could someone tell me how to do that linky thing?

Post subject: Re: Anecdotes from TOBB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am 

I have not been able to make this pie (which I make a couple of times a year) without thinking of Frank's story and laughing myself sick. Thanks for reposting here, Crystal
ilene

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:03 pm 

Too funny, Crystal! It's so good to have you back with us!
Kathy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm 

crystal wrote:
Okay, folks, put your favorite links here, for all to enjoy. As easy as the old board is (now) to navigate, this could take years.
Could someone tell me how to do that linky thing?

OMG Crystal...I SO remember this post! I don't think I laughed harder...

Re: linkies...this board uses standard bbcode.

To post a link with a description, use this (without quotes and the space in the initial bracket): "[ url=http://example.com]Example[/url] ". I then highlight whatever I'm calling the link and hit it with color from the right hand frame. Does this make sense?

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm 

Oh my gosh that was the funniest thing ever. I think I actually got motivated to buy my slicing glove after that. One of those metallic imbedded things....actually it came from that kitchen store in Fredericksberg TX that we toured during the San Antonio trip.

I seem to remember a big dustup over cumin going bitter with too much cooking - not really meant to be humorous but it was funny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm 

To post a link with a description, use this (without quotes and the space in the initial bracket): "[ url=http://example.com]Example[/url] ". I then highlight whatever I'm calling the link and hit it with color from the right hand frame. Does this make sense?

Yes, I think so. Thanks!
Tim's mischevious wit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:15 pm 

I'm buckling my seatbelt 'cause I can see this is going to be fun!!! :D
Nance

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 pm 

Wow...hard to believe it was nearly seven years ago...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm 

a touch of fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm 

These are sooo funny, I almost forgot what that board was like. I just looked in over there and immediately fell into a coma.
I wonder when they are going to pull that board for good.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next