Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooking from the freezer VI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:13 am 

corned beef
pulled pork

We are off to Costco mainly for dog food!
May stop by Wegman's - looking for the elusive veal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am 

Thanks to this thread I am down to just a fridge freezer. The chest freezer is looking for a new home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 am 

Oh, Darcie. Say it ain't so. How can you cook without a freezer? :o :o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm 

Kathy Henry wrote:
Oh, Darcie. Say it ain't so. How can you cook without a freezer? :o :o

Do what they do in many parts of the world - shop every day! :lol:

I'm with you, Kathy. My fridge freezer has almost nothing but basic ingredients in it, rather than larger things like meats, breads, butter, leftovers, things from the garden, and large amounts of things that need to be frozen to avoid rancidity, and the like, which are all in the large freezer. By "basic ingredients" I mean things I have frozen, but reach for often when cooking: 5 large jars of fresh chiles, 4 kinds of Thai curry pastes, plus a few kinds of Mexican pastes, a bunch of lemongrass, galangal, ginger, krachai, and fresh turmeric, and probably some I forgot! Suffice it to say, I could not cook without a freezer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 am 

Darcie wrote:
Thanks to this thread I am down to just a fridge freezer. The chest freezer is looking for a new home.

I'd suggest keeping the freezer and buying a pig.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 am 

I agree with Amy! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:36 am 

lol. My hubby came in yesterday from the freezer and announced it is only 2/3 full....time to fill it up. I've become way more selective though about buying things for it so my hope is to keep it around this level permanently. Full enough that I can easily pull items from it, but manageable to find things.
tonight is quiche (two) with pie crusts from the freezer. This will also help use the flat of eggs I bought at a farm on the weekend but I will need to go get brocolli and ham.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm 

Gee, thanks for the support! :lol:

I found that my freezer was rather like a Tardis, but not filled with anything good. I was tired of leaning over and getting frost-bitten fingers trying to find the pork loin that I was *sure* I had (but didn't). Also, I can't seem to get my act together enough to plan ahead and defrost in advance, so I always bought fresh meats, etc. while the stuff in the freezer just sat there. Plus, it encouraged me to buy too much crap I didn't really need because "shit, it was 99 cents!" (bonus points to anyone who gets that reference)

If I ever get back into gardening I will probably get another freezer (or plug this one back in if I don't find any takers). But for now I am happy with just a small freezer. Plus my carbon footprint has been reduced yet again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm 

Did an empty and sort through (so quick when it's not too full) as we never maintain the inventory. Lots of sausage (homemade) and shrimp and other fish. No red meat other than 2 pounds of extra lean beef, one of which went into the Tamale Pie we had for dinner last night.
I pulled a bag of boneless skinless legs to make butter chicken for Saturday (my boys are staying at a friend's place since we have a wedding, so I'll make it in the morning and drop it off wth them as a thank you) and am having fish tonight.
Am going to make quiche for one night next week too. Lots of bigger proteins in there (whole pork loins, pork butt, back ribs), not as much for quick weeknight dinners. I might do pulled pork for the freezer with the pork butt, it's great to have ready to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

I did an inventory too. I'm making a mini Thanksgiving tomorrow using a now-defrosting-brining 8 lb Turkey Breast, + leftover frozen (and defrosting) stuffing and cranberry sauce. Last indoor roast, we hope, until the Fall.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next