Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Cooking from the freezer VI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:52 am 

:D :D Moving this topic to this board. I think everyone that participates is here. Thanks, Fuzzy.

My freezer is pretty empty of protein. I have lots of stock & misc items that I accumulate over the year. I anticipate lots of soups on the remains. The lamb is gone as is the 1/2 pig. Expect to get more soon.

Ready, set & go tomorrow.

Happy new year to everyone.
K

Post subject: Re: Cooking from the freezer VI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:03 am 

Good idea Kathy!

I now have three freezers. Two are small and live side-by-side in the garage. Despite my best efforts to empty them, I seem to fill them right back up. This is mostly due to stocking up when I'm in Denver.

Kathy, did you find you had trouble finding room for the sides you bought?

Happy New Year to you as well.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 am 

I have one upright downstairs, and it it stuffed! I keep thinking I'm making progress, but it doesn't seem like it. Food just magically appears......

I have a cool app on my phone (My Pantry 2) and just started inventorying everything. I like it because it has a barcode scanner, and if It doesn't have a barcode, I can just dictate the name of the item into the phone. I have so much stored up, I am concerned that it will take up too much space. But maybe this will be easier to keep up with than writing it down. LC inventory is impossible.

Last night, I used some leg/thighs and shrimp for paella from Cooking for Two.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:26 pm 

I never emptied my freezer, but will play again. I've been really good about not buying any more proteins even with all the great sales before Christmas, that may come back to bite me but for now we'll continue to eat what we have. Just need to find an occasion to get rid of a turkey lurking at the bottom of my freezer.
Today- lazy day but we used a pack of tortillas from the freezer along with shredded cheddar to make quessidillas (sp?) for lunch. Had frozen shrimp from it last night and will have chili from it for dinner tonight if I can get motivated enough to make cornbread.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:10 pm 

Kae,
Is that an iphone app? If so are you sure of the name... it sounds great but I can't find it in the app store (although there are several pantry ones).

Mary

PS I only have a small freezer but forget what is in it all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:36 pm 

Can You guys just talk in 2nd grade terms? I don't have a clue about Ipods or apps. I thought apps were before dinner treats! :o I don't want to lose you as my friends - I love you guys, but please help me out here! :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

I think the barcode scanner is built-in. It is on the Droid.

All,

Not having a freezer of our own, we've been trying to make a dent in our in-laws' three freezers (yes, really). I've used up grains, nuts, tomatoes, pesto, tamales, tuna, halibut, pirogi, ravioli and soup stock. Of course, MIL is working at cross-purposes; when I said I was going to use the pirogi, she went out and bought more just in case the ones in the freezer were freezer-burned.

Kathy,

Apple iPhones and Android smartphones -- which are really hand-held computers -- offer downloadable software applications for doing various things, such as shopping list trackers, calculators, timers, games, notepads, "enhanced reality", photo organizers, restaurant listings, etc. These are collectively called "apps" for short. Literally thousands of these "apps" are generally created by third parties (rather than by Apple or Google) and are either free or for a small charge (like $5). If you have an iPhone, you download Apps from the AppStore; if you have an Android phone, from the Marketplace.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:28 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Mary,

Not having a freezer of our own, we've been trying to make a dent in our in-laws' three freezers (yes, really).

Um, in case you didn't notice Josh, I mentioned I have three freezers earlier in this thread. Hurumph.... ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:31 am 

Fuzzy
Thanks for the info. I don't have an ipod, but i appreciate your explanation.

Amy
I also have 3 freezers. A side by side upstairs, an upright downstairs & an additional frig with a top freezer. I feel like such a pig, but can't wait to get my new pig & lamb!!!!!!!!.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:52 am 

I always tell everyone that my parents have a HUGE freezer and a HUGE fridge just for them. Now I am I going to tell them about Kathy, Amy and Josh's in-laws.

I took out some frozen boneless chicken thighs and am making that with Penzey's Balti sauce mix which I haven't tried yet. Remember I extended this freezer thing to my pantry as I tend to buy odd things and never use them. I also used a sugar/gold mixture that someone gave me to decorate the dessert I made for NYE. Unfortunately there was a LOT of sugar and not much gold so it wasn't all that effective. I am surprised I haven't bought any gold or silver leaf... I do have edible gold spray but I haven't found anything that it looks good on. Probably fruit.

I still have a ton of veal shanks so I need to find enough hearty meat eaters to make a party out of it.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next