Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I cooks it, yes I do preciouss...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:41 am 

So it has become the summer of Ribs. I've done several of the CI/CC recipes and a few of my own. Smoked, done on the grill, baked-all of them pretty good-except the set that charred because my roommate had too much heat on the smoker, and they were tasty if you peeled them.
The Grilled Sticky Ribs from CC work very well if you keep the heat down whilst they're on the grill.
Oven smoked ribs are OK, but I can use the outdoor toys for now, so I will.
Last night's batch was a simple spice rub on the slabs in the AM, then put them on the grill at 5PM. Indirect heat, very wet oak chips (they were left out in the rain), ribs loaded into a rack. Pulled off the grill at 8:00, finished with an hour in the oven flat on a sheet tray with about 6 oz. of beer pour in and well wrapped in foil.
The slab brought up to snack on when watching anime was gone in about a minute. Mention that there were more ribs available brought grunts of "Good".
And these are cheap ribs I get from a local multi-ethnic market (Check out Fresh Farms on Touhy, Chicago types!). They call them spare ribs, but they're about 8" long and have a flap of extra meat on the bony side. Maybe they just come from small pigs.
In any event, a finger licking summer.
Next up- graduation party for one roommate in late Sept, then it's time for the Theobromas Bash in November once again. Then I turn 50. We may throw a halloween party in there too.

Post subject: Re: I cooks it, yes I do preciouss...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 am 

Becky,

I thought Chicagoan's bought their ribs at Peoria Packing or Moo & Oink!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 am 

Both of those are way on the South Side-about an hour away if the traffic is good. In this heat I don't want the ribs pre-cooking on the way home. Or to use up that much gas. Moo & Oink is a great store. One day I will drag my roommates there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 pm 

So I'm doing a dinner party tomorrow as part of a charity auction. Skirt steaks with chimichurri, spicy grilled shrimps, bulgur pilaf, corn and black bean salad, mango sorbet, stuffed tomatoes, and fresh apricot and blackberry tartlettes.
Steaks are marinating, pastry cream chilling, dough relaxing. Still need to season the beans and make the tomato filling. Luckily shrimps only need to marinate for less than an hour, and sticking them on skewers is fast. Corn will roast tomorrow, and the sorbet will have to get churned first thing, but the can wasn't frozen enough to do it tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 am 

So what time is dinner tonight?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:41 am 

So the party was well received and I got a big tip. That was a surprise. And yesterday I made cibatta-the first loaf I baked at home in over a year. Came out well, even if making just one loaf seemed too easy somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm 

awesome news! LOL on the bread comment. Make 10 and ship it to people on the board. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm 

BeckyH wrote:
So the party was well received and I got a big tip. That was a surprise. And yesterday I made cibatta-the first loaf I baked at home in over a year. Came out well, even if making just one loaf seemed too easy somehow.

Always nice to get big tips. I cater for one couple who always tip me really, really well. It's nice.

And, I know what you mean about making one loaf of bread...when I bake bread at home, it's almost like I'm playing with an Easy Bake oven.

Amy