Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green Chef
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm 

My friend Mark calls me last night and wants me to come over to his house. I walk into his kitchen and I see all this food sitting out on the counter. He shows me some recipe cards and asks me if I like Pork or Salmon. I told him that I’m not a big fan of Salmon, so he gathers up all the ingredients for the Pork Recipe and puts it into a box. The food is from a company called Green Chef. They send you all the ingredients to prepare a meal for two. The meal I prepared last night was 5 Spice Pork Tenderloin with Quinoa and Roasted Vegetables. 30 minutes later, 1 dirty bowl and 2 dirty pans, I had a complete meal that was excellent. They send you just enough for the meal. He also gave me the ingredients for another meal that I will probably make on Sunday. Jerk Chicken Tostadas with Slaw. Also, all the ingredients are organic, The plan is pricey at $11.95 - $13.95 a meal plus shipping. What’s nice is you don’t have a lot of extra ingredients around that you might not use again. I think I am going to start ordering 2 meals a week when my mom comes back in May. We don’t always agree on what to have for dinner, so this will be a nice change for us.

Post subject: Re: Green Chef
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:28 am 

I have considered one or two of these companies for myself. I just like the idea of trying something new now and then and figure this might be the way.
Blue Apron is one that I've considered although, at the time I wasn't moved by the available menu choices.
Another point was that when I checked the pricing I noticed that the cost for the meals in my zip code was considerably more than it would be if I still lived in my old zip code (much bigger market size). Still, one of these days I will probably try it. One physician that I see (she's a young mother of three) told me she'd tried the service (not sure which) and while she liked it well enough, she thought it was pretty pricey per meal.