Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Funny thing with peppers, plus another good recipe I made.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 pm 

I had some friends over for dinner tonight, and one brought a friend of his that he said liked spicy foods, so he figured he'd put her to the test! lol I told them to come after dark, for obvious reasons, and I had earlier picked just about all of my full sized peppers, ripe and green, and had four bowls of them sitting on my range when they walked in:

One guy said, very casually, "Are all those for tonight's dinner?" I answered with "Yeah, I might need a few more, but there's still a bunch out there." And I kept working, trying to keep a straight face. Her eyes got as big as saucers, and looked at the other guy, as if to say "they aren't serious, are they?" We kept out straight faces for several more seconds, but all three of us busted out laughing at the same time! I wish I had gotten a video of that - it was priceless!

I made a couple of Indonesian dishes tonight, which was an impromptu idea, which I got when I emptied my frozen peppers from last year, and put the small ones on a rack in my dehydrator (yes they do dry well, even after being frozen!), but I had 9 Fresno peppers, in near perfect condition. Hating to waste anything, I went looking through my Malaysian/Indonesian (this is what got me growing these years ago, when James Oseland gave these as a very good substitute for one of their local peppers) books for recipes, that I had tried, and liked, or had marked as "wanting to try" (a little mark I make in the corner). I found a long beans in coconut milk recipe that I had tried, and a fish stew with lemon basil, which I wanted to try. One recipe used 5, and the other 4 fresnos, so it worked out great! And green beans are something I still have coming in from out there, so they're just as good as long beans for that recipe. And much of them would be made in advance, so there wasn't much left to do this evening. I made some of that "lemongrassaide", with all of the greens from the lemongrass, and added some vodka to a couple of them, but not mine - I was still handling knives. lol

The fish recipe had fresh turmeric, ginger, galangal, garlic, and the fresnos in the seasoning paste, then lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves fired with the seasoning paste, and pandanus leaf, and lemon basil added later for simmering. And the fish was tossed with some lime juice, and let sit for 30 min, before adding to the liquid (the only part I did at dinnertime). Jasmine rice is something I don't cook much for myself anymore, but I had to cook some to go with this - these dishes just need it!

Here's the finished dish, next to some jasmine rice:

Post subject: Re: Funny thing with peppers, plus another good recipe I mad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

Looks nice!

I made Burmese shrimp tomato curry tonight, with some of your dried Lombak peppers from 2 years ago. They're faded, but they still have some flavor.