Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My palmiers made me sick
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 pm 

I think cardamom palmiers are the lightest, flakiest, crispiest, most delicate and delicious cookies. And with puff pastry dough in the freezer, they come together so quickly. The downside is that because of all that, you can eat about a half-dozen in 5 minutes. Seriously. I feel quite sick at the moment. But at least I can blame Gesine Bullock-Prado bc I watched her Craftsy puff pastry class (she's a great instructor) and that's what made me do it. ;)

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My palmiers made me sick
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:57 pm 

Recipe???
Please & thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Emilie,

For a bit I thought that you'd had palmier-related food poisoning, and was wondering how you managed that.

Anyway, you can fix your palmier issues by mailing the rest of them to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:31 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Emilie,

For a bit I thought that you'd had palmier-related food poisoning, and was wondering how you managed that.

When I read the subject line I had the same thought! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 pm 

ldkelley wrote:
TheFuzzy wrote:
Emilie,

When I read the subject line I had the same thought! :)

My bad -- my typical inclination to create a quirky subject line can occasionally backfire. But fortunately the palmiers did NOT make me backfire. :lol:

And Josh, I'd be glad to send you the rest to avoid any further gluttony on my part, but I literally ate at least 6 a day the past 3 days and they're gone. They are so addictive they should almost be illegal.

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:13 pm 

wino wrote:
Recipe???
Please & thank you!

Bill, the recipe was just a basic puff pastry and then rolled out with about 1/2c. granulated sugar mixed with 1/2t. ground cardomom. I had made the puff pastry several weeks ago and frozen it in blocks. It was my second attempt at full puff and it had a few issues. The biggest one was that the butter block broke through the dough in more than one place when I was rolling and re-rolling (which was because I let the dough get too warm in-between folding and rolling). I made Napoleons at the time and they need some improvement when I tackle them again (you can tell in the photos that I didn't bake the puff long enough, and the pastry cream wasn't stiff enough), but the palmiers didn't suffer at all for my lack of puff prowess. :lol:

One thing I especially like about Gesine's recipe is that she includes fresh lemon juice to keep the puff pastry dough from discoloring. Since I thawed this block in the fridge and then it stayed there for another day or two until I was ready to make the palmiers, it was great that the dough didn't turn that icky greyish brown in the meantime. Also, the way she has you make a parchment "envelope" is a neat way to get the butter the right size and a uniform thickness. However I definitely wouldn't have been able to follow how to do that by the recipe alone. She demos it in the Craftsy class.)

(I'm glad to PM the recipe for the puff -- I don't know how to attach a pdf to a post and the jpg's of it were too big as far as file size.)

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.