Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pork and Beans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:57 pm 

Made pork & beans tonight; not the québécois classic (often seen throughout the east coast), or even the fancier French version (cassoulet), but Mexican pork and beans from Truly Mexican. The beans are pinto, the pork is carnitas, and the sauce is adobo. Very good. A little hotter then I might like for that dish, and maybe a tiny bit "harsh" probably great after a day. But it will get made again, because it is delicious, and it uses up half a recipe of carnita's, which is right about perfect!

Post subject: Re: Pork and Beans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:28 am 

I've been wanting to make the québécois classic - have you ever done that and if yes, do you have a favourite recipe?

love the idea of a Mexican version of pork and beans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:28 am 

I've been wanting to make the québécois classic - have you ever done that and if yes, do you have a favourite recipe?

love the idea of a Mexican version of pork and beans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 am 

I've only ever made it twice; once I winged it, quite some years ago, it was not success. The second time was recently, I had this huge craving for proper english breakfast so made Chef Micheal Smith's Maple Baked Beans. They were decent, but too sweet; a spoonful or two was good, but not a serving (not even side serving). Good for some kind of bite with something, but more sweet then what I am used to.

If you do find a good version, let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
I've only ever made it twice; once I winged it, quite some years ago, it was not success. The second time was recently, I had this huge craving for proper english breakfast so made Chef Micheal Smith's Maple Baked Beans. They were decent, but too sweet; a spoonful or two was good, but not a serving (not even side serving). Good for some kind of bite with something, but more sweet then what I am used to.

If you do find a good version, let me know!

Serious Eats has a great recipe for Brit-style baked beans. They are like the Heinz, only better. They freeze well, too. In fact, Imma go thaw some right now because just seeing the picture has me craving toast and beans.

I'm pretty sure you were asking for something else, but I couldn't help it. I really love this recipe.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/beans-on-toast-recipe.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm 

I really liked these. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... mbs-395909

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:10 pm 

This is our go-to recipe, courtesy of my sister.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:39 am 

I love CC's meaty beans recipe. It always reminds me of old Boston Baked Beans with Bacon, but way better. Please let me know if you'd like me to post the recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:12 am 

You'll laugh but although I've made my own baked beans many times from many different recipes because the idea of homemade beans with that heavenly aroma is irresistible, I have found that canned beans nowadays are just so darned good that I just can't compete in terms of flavor and time involved. Now I just used the better brands.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am 

JesBelle wrote:
Serious Eats has a great recipe for Brit-style baked beans. They are like the Heinz, only better. They freeze well, too. In fact, Imma go thaw some right now because just seeing the picture has me craving toast and beans.

I'm pretty sure you were asking for something else, but I couldn't help it. I really love this recipe.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/beans-on-toast-recipe.html

Tried these this weekend (ate yesterday). They were pretty good. I used crushed tomatoes for the "pureed tomatoes" (I presume that is what they meant). I thought, even after 5 hours cooking, the 'fresh' tomato flavour was a touch too strong; maybe the cider vinegar? Still pretty close to what I have in mind.

If someone makes this: The ingredients call for 6 cups stock, but you only put in 4; the remaining 2 are "just in case". This really bugs me. Of course I put in all 6, noted it was way to watery, re-read carefully and had to fetch out two cups. For my beans, 4 was very very close to too much, if I made it again I might start at 3.5.