Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boneless BBQ short ribs...mmmmmmmm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:57 pm 

I had never bought boneless short ribs before -- the times I'd made short ribs in the past I'd bought bone-in for Kalbi (Korean BBQ ribs) and although DH liked them, I always felt like they didn't have enough meat compared to fat. Anyway I noticed them at Costco and picked up a package. WOW. The recipe I used was crazy easy (just make a simple BBQ sauce and then cook them slowly in the oven) and they were amazing. Even better the next day and today DH put leftovers on a tortilla for lunch and said it was delicious. The recipe was from "Once Upon a Chef," which is an interesting site I hadn't seen before. (How those food bloggers stay so skinny is beyond me, though!!)

Anyway, it's definitely a company-worthy dish that is super easy.

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Boneless BBQ short ribs...mmmmmmmm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm 

Emilie, I only use boneless now both for short ribs and bbq spare ribs. I dislike having to take proteins off the bone at the table. We just made bulgogi the other day on the grill. It was so quick. It is so much easier to slice the boneless. Here's the recipe I use in case you'd like to try it:

KOREAN BARBECUE BEEF*****

For the marinade, use pure toasted (Asian) sesame oil. This is a dark liquid, not the raw oil sold in health food stores and some supermarkets.
Can substitute another thin cut meat. Short ribs get tenderized in a shorter period of time, other steaks take the full 2 hours,

5 stars - I had leftover from another recipe 1 lb 9 oz. left of Costco boneless beef short ribs in 4" long pieces by 1 to 1½" thick. I made them tonight using a slightly modified recipe from Epicurious and they were so good and easy. I trimmed most of the hard fat off. Because not all the pieces were the same thickness and wood cook unevenly, I t sliced them in half lengthwise so they were about ¾" thick. The recipe said to rub them with brown sugar which I did and then I pounded them with a flat round pounder until they were all about the same thickness. They then got rubbed with kiwi which I juiced in the Cuisinart mini prep and put in a marinade for two hours. I added trimmed scallions to the marinade bag (idea from another recipe). DH put the meat and the scallions on the grill where they started to cook. He ran out of gas, so they finished cooking on the heat left. Probably would have been 2-3 minutes per side. They were so good and tender. We had them with brown basmati rice and peas and corn.

I had never used brown sugar on meat nor actually juiced a kiwi, much less rubbed meat with it. But it was so good. The meat was really tender and no fat. The prep took less and 20 minutes and then they sat in the fridge for 2 hours, but with the meat cut so thin, probably 30 minutes would have been ok.

Servings: 2-4

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes

1½ lbs Boneless Beef Short Ribs, cut into 4” long and ¾” thick
3 TBS. Brown Sugar Splenda or Dark Brown Sugar
1 Fresh Kiwi, peeled and juiced in a mini processor or blender (use pear if kiwi not available)
3 TBS. Ohsawa Nama Shoyu Organic Unpasteurized Soy Sauce
1 TBS. TJ’s low sodium Soy sauce
3 tsps. Pure Toasted (Asian) Sesame Oil (may use 4)
1½ TBS. Pressed garlic
1 tsp. fresh minced or pressed ginger
2 TBS. rice wine (sake or mirin)
pinch fresh ground white pepper

18 scallions, trimmed (optional)

Distribute the sugar evenly on the beef short ribs by sprinkling it on each piece. Pound each piece to about ½” thickness. Allow beef to sit for 10 minutes.

In a measuring cup, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sake, and black pepper. Put aside. Put peeled kiwi in blender or food processor and extract juice.

Massage the beef with the kiwi juice using your hands. The kiwi works as a tenderizer. Add the sauce and mix. Allow the beef to marinate for 2 hours before barbecuing. Add the scallions to the bag.

Ideal if grilled over smoked wood but just as good in a frying pan or skillet. Cook until browned, being careful not to overcook. When ready to cook, preheat your grill to high. Check the heat using the "Mississippi test" -- hold your hand about three inches above the grill grate; when the fire is at the right heat, you should only be able to count two or three Mississippis before you have to pull your hand away. Oil the grill grate (use long tongs to hold an oil-dipped cloth) and place ribs on grill. Cook until the ribs are done to your preference (about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium) and nicely browned. Your ribs could cook more quickly, or take more time. So KEEP AN EYE ON THEM, especially if you're using the boneless variety of short ribs. Grill the scallions, turning them occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until they are just browned.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Beef, Beef Short Ribs, Fresh Ginger, Korean Food, Main Dish, Meat, Printed, Scallions, Splenda

Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... e-1-109586

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm 

Alina, DH would love this and I froze the other half of the short ribs package, so it'll be on the menu soon! Thanks so much for posting it.

Two questions, though -- does the brand of soy sauce really matter? I always keep Lee Kum Kee in the fridge b/c I get big bottles of it for cheap at the Asian grocery store. But that place scares me so I'd prefer not to make a stop in there just for another brand. Seriously.

Second question -- I've never juiced a kiwi either. We usually have them in the house b/c DD loves them, but she handles the prep. So juicing is basically pureeing a peeled kiwi in the FP, right?

Thanks again,

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:36 pm 

The texture of the soy sauces are different, but I don't think it will matter. Not sure why I used 2 kinds, probably I ran out of the first one :o There is a difference in salt content. Here's what CI had to say:

Recommended - Best in Cooking
Lee Kum Kee Table Top Premium Soy Sauce
This Chinese brand won rice and teriyaki tastings. With rice, its flavor was described as "salty, sweet, roasted, pleasant," and "fruity," with a "great aroma." Cooked in teriyaki, it was "salty, malty, and delicious," with "good depth" and "balance." Contains more sodium than other brands tested.

Recommended - Best for Dipping
Ohsawa Nama Shoyu Organic Unpasteurized Soy Sauce
This Japanese brand won the plain tasting, with its flavor described as "clean," "caramel," and "rich and nuanced." A few tasters called it "sweet and dimensional," even "floral," with one adding that it was "lighter in style and flavor than others." Contains less sodium than other brands tested.

I think the first time I made it, I put the peeled kiwi in my old blender. After that I've used the mini prep since I thought 1 kiwi in the Vitamix would get lost. I do massage the meat with the kiwi, more of the pulp that juice. I looked at a whole bunch of recipes when I made this and took what made sense to me from all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 am 

Thanks! I'll report back once I've made it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:50 am 

Costco's beef short ribs are the best!