Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AB's curried chicken pot pie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:08 am 

I made this Alton Brown recipe this week, and it was very good. I used smoked chicken leg quarter meat and a frozen veg mix called "tejano mix" from my local ethnic grocer. The mix is corn kernels, carrots, peas, red pepper and onions.

It is one of those days when I am happy with myself for making a meal that cost less than $6 for dinner for two plus on lunch. :) Highly recommended and I think you could do it with different flavor profiles by switching out the curry for other flavors, but we quite liked the curry.

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: AB's curried chicken pot pie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:48 am 

I'll bet that pot pie was good, I'll save the recipe to try next time.
My go-to recipes for a long time have been Ina's, here in case you're interested:

Ina Garten's Chicken Pot Pie[/b]

3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
3 Tbs olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
~ ~ ~ ~
For the pastry:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions and parsley. Mix well.

For the pastry, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the shortening and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until each piece is coated with flour. Pulse 10 times, or until the fat is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Divide the dough into quarters and roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, then place the dough on top. Trim the circle to 1/2-inch larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp the dough to fold over the side, pressing it to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.

Source Ina Garten

This is another of hers that I like just as much (I prefer to make my own crust with leaf lard instead of using biscuits):

Chicken Stew with Biscuits

3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
3 Tbs olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots (4 carrots), blanched for 2 minutes
1 10-ounce package frozen peas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the biscuits:
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 lb (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley. Mix well. Place the stew in a 10 x 13 x 2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the biscuits. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed. Mix in the parsley. Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8-inch thick. Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter.

Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top of the filling. Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.

Note: To make in advance, refrigerate the chicken stew and biscuits separately. Bake the stew for 25 minutes, then place the biscuits on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, until done.

Servings: 8

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Source: Ina Garten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:25 am 

My son in law made this AB pot pie and it was excellent. He used Dufour puff pastry for the top. I loved the filling and plan on making it with just regular crust.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 pm 

I really like Pam Anderson's version from THE PERFECT RECIPE.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oAz1d ... pe&f=false

I hope this link works :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:59 pm 

Funny timing that this subject popped up, as I'm making chicken pot pie on Friday for dinner guests. For years I've made a Southern Living recipe (usually quadrupled because that's when I pay people back who've done me favors, etc.) and it's the usual carrots, onions, celery and potatoes plus I throw in some peas. Over the years I've made alterations, like using homemade chicken stock once I started canning (which makes a big difference IMHO). And like Linda, I make my crust with leaf lard (and butter). But something I discovered about 6 months ago took the recipe to an even higher level. I had some extra lard from making the crust and the plastic tub had cracked, so rather than transfer it to another container, I subbed it for some of the butter I saute the vegetables in. It was probably about 1/3 c of each. Oh my goodness. Needless to say that's my go-to combo now for the saute. Just fyi for any fellow lard lovers out there :lol:

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:43 am 

Wow! That's a tip I'm going to use for sure. Thanks for passing it along.