Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Key lime / lemon pie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:00 am 

I am glad it isn't just me. We should start a separate thread for what things aren't. ;)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

It's pretty hard to locate culantro outside of cities with large Cuban populations. Most recipes substitute cilantro for that. They shouldn't, but I've seen it in any number of cookbooks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm 

So I've got it! This new recipe I discovered is actually called Lime Cream Pie. There's also a version called Lemon Cream Pie. They're both quite delicious. Glad we got that settled. :lol:

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:46 pm 

And Josh, that was a really interesting article, thanks for posting the link. I met Molly O'Neil years ago when she came to the food bank that was my client at the time. She's quite a character.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:46 am 

I like the bit of creaminess that some cream cheese provides, too. This recipe has been a favorite way to get a creamy limey fix since the summer of 2006. Safely sidesteps the issue of authenticity.

Key lime bars
Adapted from cooks illustrated
Ingredients

Crust
5 ounces animal crackers
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (light or dark)
pinch table salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
Filling
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon grated lime zest, minced
pinch table salt
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice, either Key lime or regular
Garnish (optional)
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted until golden and crisp

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2-inch width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch-square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. TO MAKE THE CRUST: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have about 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven.

3. TO MAKE THE FILLING: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly).

4. TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.

5. Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 pm 

I like that one too, Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 am 

Thanks for posting that, Jim, and for the second, Nancy. I've seen that recipe on numerous occasions and have been tempted to make them. But for some strange reason I'm just not a bar girl (as in baked goods ;) ). I love anything in cookie form but bars typically don't appeal to me. Have no idea why. Maybe it was the brick-like blondies my mother made when I was little. Anyway I'll make an exception tomorrow and try these out for a meeting I'm baking for!

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:04 am 

I had forgotten about these so made them again on Saturday and yes, they're still delicious. My only "slight" complaint is the thickness of the crust. We prefer thinner crusts but that's an easy solve.

Thanks Jim for the refresh!