Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fast and easy super lemony cookies.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am 

I just made these lemony cookies and they were excellent. I cut down on the peel, but added lemon oil, Fiori di Italia and KAF lemon powder. I didn't roll them in powdered sugar, but used a tiny bit of gold superfine sugar combine with the lemon powder. They are so lemony, crispy edges and softer centers. I am making them again, doubling the recipe this time. I am planning to freeze some to see if they are as good as chocolate crackles are after they are frozen.

Post subject: Re: Fast and easy super lemony cookies.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 pm 

This is so perfect, Alina -- I've been craving lemon cookies like crazy recently! I don't have any KAF lemon powder but do have the lemon oil and fiori. Do you remember how much of each you used? And how much less peel you used? I'm going to make them in the morning!

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:04 am 

Hi Emilie, here's my version. This is the doubled version. I am making them again later today. I'd go back to 2 TBS. lemon zest if you skip the lemon powder. The original link is below so you can compare. Please let me know how you like them.

LEMON CRINKLES

This recipe was adapted from the one in the link below. I like really lemony cookies so I added the lemon powder, oil and Fiori di Italia. You can roll the balls in powdered sugar instead of the lemon powder and gold sugar combo I use.

5 stars - Really good very lemony and not overly sweet. Did not them dip in powdered sugar, but used lemon powder-sanding sugar combo to lightly sprinkle.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Servings: 24 Yield: 4-5 dozen

Preparation Time: 34 minutes Cooking Time: 11 minutes Inactive Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour

8 oz unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 TBS. lemon powder, divided
1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs
1 TBS. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. lemon oil
2 TBS. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBS. gold fine sugar

Preheat oven to 350° F. degrees. Put parchment on 4 baking sheets or grease light colored baking sheets with non stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, and 1 TBS. lemon powder together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, lemon oil, Fiori di Italia and eggs, lemon zest and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly.

Pour remaining TBS. lemon powder and gold sugar into a shallow bowl. Use a #60 (pink) disher (or heaping tsps.) and place ball in bowl. Pick up and place on baking sheet sugar side up and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte {not melty or shiny}. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Place in airtight tin when cool.

If using a non stick darker baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Cookies, Desserts, Lemon, Lemon Juice Powder

Web Page: http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2012/03/ ... okies.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am 

I have a bag of lemons begging to be used....will try these this weekend. I plan to drop and freeze then bake from frozen.
thanks Alina!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm 

Okay so I made these yesterday morning - stuck to the original except for adding 1/4 t. Fiori. Super easy and came together very fast -- I didn't even use my stand mixer since I was just doing a single recipe (hand mixer did fine). They did require several more minutes baking time but that's not unusual because my ovens run a tad cold. They are delicious. Perfect texture, sweetness, etc. I wasn't sure if they were lemony enough, even though I used all the zest and juice called for. Since I always buy a bag of Costco lemons at one time and freeze the zest/juice, I thought perhaps those two ingredients had lost their punch in the freezer. Or else the recipe really needed the lemon oil/powder. But DH and client taster all said they were very pleasantly lemony/tangy. (I think this is one of those times when having lost my sense of smell affects my taste -- maybe it's more pronounced in citrusy stuff.) Anyway, it's a winner. Will definitely be making more. (Although next time I might try sparkling sugar instead of confectioners on the outside.)

Thanks Alina!

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 pm 

Emilie, so glad you liked them. I love the citrus oils and use them all the time to enhance, so you might consider adding them to your next KAF order. I got all the powders when they first came out and am glad because I think they only have lemon now. I use them all the time, I sub it for some of the sugar in the recipe. Lovely on frostings. I do think the sparkling sugar is better than the powdered, though I think it could be omitted without a big loss of flavor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 pm 

Actually I have the citrus oils, Alina, and have used the lemon any number of times. I think what made me decide to try the cookies first without it is that I used some of the lime oil in place of zest for a key lime pie recently and it was awful! I went by the substitution guide I've always used (2 drops oil per 1/4 t. zest called for) so I don't know what happened. But I was serving the pie to dinner guests so the experience obviously caused subliminal trauma :D

And thanks -- I'm definitely going to get some lemon powder in my next order. My MO in the past was to try new KAF products and then a good bit of the time I never got around to using them (raspberry jammy bits are a prime example). So I've stopped being quite so adventurous when it comes to that. (Although I love love their mini diced ginger -- it makes so many baked goods better.)

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 am 

Emilie, try the raspberry jammy bits instead of blueberries in the Tosi Blueberries and Cream recipe. I ran out of the apricot ones and threw in some raspberry and they are great. Because they are so tiny, if close to the bottom, they caramelize for a wonderful surprise.

I don't remember ever using the lime oil, I don't do a lot of sweet with limes, and have a lime tree, so I use those for savory. But I used the orange so much, I got a big bottle of it. I usually do it in addition to, and use a not filled 1/4 tsp. I ended up with two packages of droppers, so I might see if they fit the oil bottles. Do you use a microplane for the peels? I am not fond of big bits of peel.

Wasn't able to bake yesterday, so doing both the lemon crinkles (want to try freezing some) and whole wheat chocolate chips cookies (will be using the Vanilla Butternut for the first time on them), as well as another loaf of Baker's Grain Sourdough (as well as Buttery Sourdough Buns with the discard).