Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressure cooker chicken, lentil and bacon stew
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 am 

I get the daily recipes from Serious Eats and they always look really good.
I trust Kenji Alt.
So when I came across this one http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew.html I wanted to try it.
I searched several stores before I could find Le Puy lentils, but I persevered and found them in bulk in one of our better groceries.
However, when I finished the recipe, I was disappointed. Didn't like the taste of the whole. (I used pancetta instead of the bacon). The chicken thighs were fine, but the lentil mixture didn't move me, it seemed bland and uninteresting although I really do like lentils.
I thought I'd see if there was some off-chance that someone else here had tried this.

Post subject: Re: Pressure cooker chicken, lentil and bacon stew
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 am 

I think the quality of serious eats has been suffering in the name of quantity. Its still very good, possibly one of the best single sources out there who publish regularly, but I've grown to view them with a little more suspicion. That said, I'm making at least one serious eats dish this week (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... ecipe.html) which is indeed very very good.

It's easy to fall into the CI mould of "easy" "fast" and "reliable" to the detriment of character and flavour. That said, CI still has some great recipes, as does serious eats.

Disclaimer: I do lean towards "good at any cost".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 am 

Linda I saw that recipe and was excited at first, because I too like lentils a lot, but once I really looked at it, decided to skip it. There is really nothing to flavor the chicken. I know it's supposed to be quick, but it still can be flavorful. I would have made a basic sofrito, added garlic and a bit of cumin for starters. Someone here recommended this this lentil recicpe. I made it and enjoyed it. I did tweak it, so if you'd like my tweaks, let me know. We had it hot as a main dish.

I did recently make another Kenji PC recipe, PC Chicken and Chick Pea Masala and it was easy and tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:10 am 

Well, I scooped out most of the lentils from the dish and used the chicken leftovers last night along with some (also leftover) butternut squash and Brussels sprouts that I needed to use up.
The chicken was fine, it was the lentils that I really didn't like.
Removed the recipe from my LC.