Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard taco shells
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm 

For the first time in I don't know how long, I made fried tacos tonight. The method I use is to lightly fry the corn tortillas and drain on paper towels. Once all are fried, heat about 1/4" inch of oil in a large pan. Take a tortilla, fill it lightly with cooked meat and veggies, fold in half, and lay in the oil. I usually put my tongs on top if it for a few seconds to keep it folded. I fill two more and get them in the pan, and by that time the first is ready to flip. I usually don't manage to get the fry shield on inbetween additions. Flip, let finish until GBD and then remove with tongs, turning sideways and draining well and then let drain on paper towels.Once all are fried, I pry them open, add a bit of cheese and lettuce and dinner is served.

So we are done with dinner and there is fry oil everywhere. On the stove, on the cabinets, on the counters, on the floor in front of the stove. And, now I remember why I don't make them more often.

So other than oven baking, or sticking with soft tacos, does anyone have any suggestions to make a little less mess?

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: Hard taco shells
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 pm 

Fry your own tortilla chips and make taco salad instead? At least you'd have time to get the fry shield up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 pm 

I have a tong-like thingee that allow you to put the tortilla in and fry both sides at the same time. Does the inside and outside, so you can fry the shells, drain them and then fill with both hot and cold. I used my deep fat fryer with just enough oil to cover the shell so not much of a mess. I didn't do it often though and not in years. I am not a taco connoisseur so I'm fine with Taco Bell's 12 for $10.00 deal when I want a taco.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 pm 

I never would have thought to fry them with meat/veggies inside, interesting take on that. I've never made them but have the same thought when making calamari, french fries or battered fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:00 am 

Quote:
any suggestions to make a little less mess?

One of my many unused suggestions on the other board was specifically for this situation, as I make the same thing:
I wet a series of paper towels (1/2 sheets preferred) and place them on the sides, front and back of the stove (or on the counter if I am using an electric skillet. Wetting them reduces the chance of fire and keeps them in place. Clean-up is terribly difficult - pick them up :!: :lol:
Also, I use the Oxo splatter screen - absolutely love it.
Been using this for 10+ years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:13 pm 

Wino,

Can't hurt! And I don't think I can store another unitasker when it has been a couple of years since I made these. I usually use a splatter screen, but I didn't get it on in time last night.

Thanks.

--Lisa