Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressure Cooker Ropa Vieja
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 am 

Recently several members requested by Ropa Vieja recipe. It made me want to make it. I had adapted CI's method of doing the beef with my sauce. The original method was to use the meat that had been used to make soup. But CI's method added about 3 hours to the dish. So tonight I adapted the first part for the pressure cooker which is how my mom made the meat.

I used 2 flank steaks I had in the freezer (about 51 oz.) since I wanted leftovers. Next time though, I'll use the cheaper and easier to get London Broil or even a Cross Rib Roast. I cut the beef in big chunks and seared it. Then the onions and carrots to for a couple of minutes and put the rest in. I used some leftover hard cider as part of the water. I cooked it for no more than 20 minutes (new PC was not sure when to start timing) and let the pressure come down naturally while I prepped the sauce. The meat was super easy to shred, but still but was not baby food. All in all it turned out even better than making it the CI oven braise way.

This time, I did not keep the onions and carrots, but I think I might just leave them in next time. The carrots are not common, but I like carrots. I also did not bother to broil the peppers. I usually buy bells when they are on sale and freeze them cored and seeded. These were frozen, so I just sliced them and cut them bite size and put them in. They were still a tiny bit al dente, which is great for me since I hate limp peppers.

I am not sure how why searing the meat is necessary for this particular dish, since the meat will be shredded.

I have enough to have leftovers and freeze for another meal. I also have a couple of cups of meat broth to use.

I am thinking to doing the meat for Vaca Frita the same way, then following the CI recipe since I don't have my mom's copied.

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know.

Last edited by Cubangirl on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pressure Cooker Ropa Vieja
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:45 am 

Alina, I would love your recipe. I have a pressure cooker that I received this past Christmas and have not had a chance to even get it out of the box. (my bad :cry: ), but now that I have more time, I would love to start using it!

Karen

Post subject: Re: Pressure Cooker Ropa Vieja
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 am 

Here's my revised version. I am planning to do the Vaca Frita in the PC as well. Will post when I do. Please let me know how you liked it.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ALINA'S ROPA VIEJA - CUBAN SHREDDED BEEF PC***** Servings: 8
Can sub sherry vinegar for white wine vinegar. Can use tri-tip, London Broil or flank. The leaner the meat, the less skimming will be needed for the broth. I usually freeze my bell peppers and cut them while partially frozen, so I don't put them under the broiler. Parsley and olives are optional but I think they add to the dish. Can use part wine or beef broth for the water for the broth. Beef and Broth can be made ahead and used a couple of days later, or frozen. Shred beef and freeze separately. Save broth in four ½ cup portions and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator and bring to room temperature before adding to sauce.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

FOR THE MEAT AND BROTH:
2 TBS. vegetable oil
2½ lbs. flank steak or London Broil
2 sprig parsley
3 bay leaves, divided
4 large onions, divided
4 garlic cloves, divided
2 TBS. tomato paste
1 large carrot or 10 baby carrots
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. Grains of paradise
2½ cups water

FOR THE SAUCE:
2 large green bell peppers
2 large red bell peppers
2 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
½ tsp. dry leaf oregano
¾ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Bijol
2 TBS. olive oil
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup reserved beef broth (from meat above)
½ cup dry white wine
1 TBS. white wine vinegar
2 TBS. fresh parsley leaves -- minced
½ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives

FOR THE MEAT AND BROTH:
Cut meat into cubes about 2" pieces. Peel carrots if needed, and cut into chunks. Peel and chop 1 of the onions, and mince the remaining 3 onions and set aside. Peel all garlic cloves, leave one whole and mince the remaining 3 and set aside. Cut the bell peppers in half, core, seed and set aside for use in sauce.

Pat the meat dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat until just smoking. Reduce heat to medium and place half the meat in the pot to brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side, reducing the heat if the pan begins to scorch. Transfer the meat to a plate; set aside., and repeat with remaining meat.

Add the chopped onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until softened and browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and whole garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until slightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in the water, wine or broth if using, scraping up any browned bits. Add the bay leaves, parsley, browned meat with any accumulated juices, and bring to a boil. Put the cover on the pressure cooker and set to 15 lbs. Cook for 20 minutes and let pressure fall naturally. Open the pot and check to see if meat is tender enough to shred with a fork.

Transfer the meat to a platter and cool slightly; when cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces using 2 forks. Can discard the vegetables or save to add to the sauce. Discard the parsley and bay leaves. Pour the broth into a liquid measuring cup and let settle for 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat that accumulates at the top of the broth; you should have about 2 cups of broth (if short, add water). Reserve ½ cup of broth for the sauce and save the rest for another use.

FOR THE SAUCE:
If you wish, you can place the green bell pepper, cut side down, on a greased cookie sheet. Put it under a hot broiler until it blisters. When it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Either way, cut the all bells pepper into thin strips and then cut the strips bite size, and set aside.. Mince the parsley. Use a melon baller to to take the olives out of the jar. Chop or halve the olives.

Mash the 3 remaining minced garlic cloves and with the salt, pepper, cumin, Bijol, and oregano into a paste. A mortar and pestle works best, but you may mince the garlic finely with a knife or put it through a garlic press and mash the seasonings with a fork. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onion until it is translucent, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in the garlic mixture and bay leaf, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, wine, parsley and olives, and 1 TBS. vinegar, and simmer for 5 minutes more.

Stir the meat and the green pepper and red pepper strips into the sauce, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, to blend the flavors. Taste and add more vinegar if needed.

Remove the bay leaf, and serve over white rice.

Recipe Type: Beef, Bell Peppers, Carrots, Cuban Food, Flank Steak, Main Dish, Meat, Olives, Onions, Pressure Cooker

Author: MINE ADAPTED FROM Cook's Illustrated AND A TASTE OF CUBA
Source: A Taste of Cuba Maria Josefa Lluria De O’Higgins & Cook's Illustrated Best International Recipe
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes ... ocid=21625

User Data 11 (link): http://thymeforfood.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... cakes.html