Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double Chocolate Loaf from "Baked."
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:35 am 

I mixed this by hand, and omitted the cream cheese spread. Served it for dessert with vanilla ice cream.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LOAF WITH PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE SPREAD

From the poster: "This loaf is essentially a quick-bread that bakes up into an intensely chocolate-y, moist and decadent breakfast..."

INGREDIENTS:

For the Double Chocolate Loaf:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch Processed), sifted
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (my note: I used 1/2 tsp)
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 ounces good-quality dark chocolate (60-72%), coarsely chopped (I used semi-sweet)

For the Cream Cheese Spread (I omitted this)
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Make the Double Chocolate Loaf:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and position the rack in the center. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, dust it with flour, and knock out the excess flour.

Place the brown sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Press out any lumps with the back of a large spoon. Add the cocoa, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk until blended, then add the buttermilk,oil, and vanilla; whisk until combined.

Turn the mixer to low and slowly stream the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing just until combined. Stir in the dark chocolate chunks by hand.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the Peanut Butter Spread:

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated. (If you are not using the spread immediately, place it in a ramekin, tightly cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.)

Serve the loaf plain or toasted, topped with the peanut butter spread.

The loaf will keep in an airtight container or wrapped tightly, at room temperature for up to 3 days.

BAKED NOTES
This loaf is the ultimate gift. Double or triple the recipe, cool the loaves completely, and remove them from the pans. To give the loaves a nifty bakery look, wrap them in brown parchment paper, and then wrap them in plastic and drop them off to friends along with a card.

From Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts
http://bakedsundaymornings.blogspot.com ... eanut.html
Also posted with great photo at:
http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/08/dou ... ad-recipe/

Post subject: Re: Double Chocolate Loaf from "Baked."
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 am 

OMG that looks good! That is an incredibly large amount of cocoa for such a small loaf, so it has to be good. Will definitely be making this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm 

Dave, it's delicious - deep, dark chocolatey. If you make it, let me know how it turns out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:40 pm 

Did you measure the cocoa before sifting (that's how I'm reading it...)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Did you measure the cocoa before sifting (that's how I'm reading it...)?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:42 pm 

I just made it tonight, Merstar, and it is delicious! It also smelled heavenly, while baking. I didn't make the spread, either, and will be getting some ice cream, as suggested.

I mixed all of the dry ing. together in the FP, then dumped it into a large bowl and stirred the wet mix in until almost all wet, then folded the chocolate in, which thoroughly mixed it. So simple! The most time consuming part of the prep was the chopping of the chocolate, which I nuked just until the right temp to chop, without powdering. I used Callebaut 60.3% for that, and Bensdorp for the cocoa.

One odd thing I did was to use some homemade "buttermilk" I had in the fridge that I had made with half and half. I only cured the half and half to preserve it, since I almost never use half and half (had it left from a visiting coffee drinker) and I know how crema lasts almost forever, due to the acid. I figured the 10% fat would be good in this dish.

I had this recipe marked in that book, and I'm glad you brought it back to my attention to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm 

This post has made me start looking for paper loaf pans to bake and gift in....I've seen them at KA but has anyone found a cheaper/local source?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm 

Try Michaels. They are probably on sale already.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:54 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
Try Michaels. They are probably on sale already.

Thanks JB. I never think to check there for some reason. And there's one conveniently on my way home....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
I just made it tonight, Merstar, and it is delicious! It also smelled heavenly, while baking. I didn't make the spread, either, and will be getting some ice cream, as suggested.

I mixed all of the dry ing. together in the FP, then dumped it into a large bowl and stirred the wet mix in until almost all wet, then folded the chocolate in, which thoroughly mixed it. So simple! The most time consuming part of the prep was the chopping of the chocolate, which I nuked just until the right temp to chop, without powdering. I used Callebaut 60.3% for that, and Bensdorp for the cocoa.

One odd thing I did was to use some homemade "buttermilk" I had in the fridge that I had made with half and half. I only cured the half and half to preserve it, since I almost never use half and half (had it left from a visiting coffee drinker) and I know how crema lasts almost forever, due to the acid. I figured the 10% fat would be good in this dish.

I had this recipe marked in that book, and I'm glad you brought it back to my attention to try it.

Hey Dave,
So glad you liked it! It looks great!