Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zuni Cafe bread salad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:49 pm 

I cannot believe I've never made this before...

I had friends over last night for dinner and since my hood is installed but not yet functional (awaiting custom metal piece for the exterior vent) needed to avoid anything done on the range top. So, I decided to make roast chicken, as their son is 2 1/2 and loves chicken. I used the rub and roasting technique Tim posted, but added a two-day dry brine (using the paprika, salt and pepper rub in Tim's version), then stuffed cavity with lemons and roasted per Tim's instructions.

I decided to try the Zuni Cafe bread salad, and omg, that is one of the most addictive things I've eaten in a long time. I made a French country loaf for it, and I've still got some of it left, so I'm repeating this for my dinner tonight. Andy (who has been in NYC for three months working) was extremely jealous when he heard the menu. I also did some SV carrots, and the whole meal was spectacular. I did something of a cross between an apple galette and pie for dessert. An all-American meal, and a keeper.

Amy

Post subject: Re: Zuni Cafe bread salad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm 

That sounds SO good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:33 pm 

Inspired by your post, I reread the recipe - I love, love, love the chicken but have never made the salad. It looks like it really is kind of a substitute for stuffing as opposed to a pure salad- is that a realistic appraisal? In which case, I wonder if it would be a good sub for stuffing a turkey. And while I'm on the subject, has anyone used the Zuni roast chicken approach for a small turkey? if so, I would be interested in the timing or other comments.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 pm 

Lindsay,

That's a completely realistic appraisal. And, frankly it depends on how much greens you add as far as the line between stuffing and salad is concerned. I used arugula, and added a far amount. If I make T-Day dinner this year (still an open question as to our plans), I'll probably do this instead of my usual stuffing.

I've not tried her chicken technique, but I will say last night my friends commented the bird I made is "the best roast chicken I've ever had." I cannot see why her technique would not work for a small turkey.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm 

Lindsay,

I have used the Zuni cafe procedure for the past three years with excellent results. The recipe is very flexible in taking different flavor profiles, as Amy demonstrated and provided meat with a significantly better texture than wet brining. I have used the recipe for a 6 pound red bourbon from a grower who didn't know how to feed his flock. I now get broad breasted bronzes between 9 and 14 pounds; this year we will roast one and smoke another.

Russ Parsons wrote an excellent article on the technique, "Dry-brined turkey (a.k.a. the 'Judy Bird')" in the Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/features/food/th ... z2jcMMwczW

I can't imagine another way to cook a turkey...

tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm 

Thanks, guys - this is a definite to do for Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:02 pm 

Tim,

How would you compare Zuni's roast chicken with this version you posted ?

To me, there's something more comfortable about starting at a lower temp and ending at a higher than Zuni's high heat throughout approach. But, I'm all ears...

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:46 pm 

Amy,

In my own defense, I have a viscious case of croup after baby sitting for two grandsons in Chicago for 6 days. I was not thinking about the Marcella Hazan chicken. I don't think that concept would work on a turkey, given the tightly sealed trussing; the breast may just dry out.

It is interesting that I am usually more comfortable starting at higher temps, when the bird is thigh/leg up. I usually drop the temp when I flip the bird. (Judy Rodgers uses chickens under 3 pounds) I now realize that mine runs 15 hot with a cycle of 23 degrees. That explains a lot.

The two recipes have very little in common. The Zuni concept is that two-three day dry brine. She used to specify herbs under the skin and salt on top of the skin. I tend to use a combo of hears, spices and some salt under the skin with salt baking powder on top of the skin just before roasting. Sometimes, I add more herbs during the last 15 minutes of roasting.

Marcella's recipe seasons just before cooking. The tight truss keeps everything wonderfully moist.

Actually my favorite chicken is poaching in reduced veal stock. Wonderful with our wild oyster mushrooms from our Farmer's Market for $6/pd. They are $28 in NYC. Butter, shallots, cipolines, cream and a little of the stock.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

Tim,

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather...you must have been miserable.

I was simplifying in my descriptions between the two. I guess I should have stated the way I roasted my bird last night is "something" of a cross between them, and I really, really liked the results.

I guess I was really asking how you'd compare them in terms of taste/moistness.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:11 pm 

I have made both...Tim's recipe and the Zuni one and love them both. When I want the chicken to be a whole meal with the bread salad, I use the Zuni recipe. I suppose using Tim's rub and the Zuni salad would be a combo worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.