Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excellent fish recipe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm 

I have been trying to eat more fish. So I made my favorite Sole Meuniere in Brown Butter and Almonds two weeks ago and made Almond Crusted Halibut the other day. It made four servings so we had two last Thursday and the other two last night.

First of all it was actually better last night. I thought it was because the piece I had before was thinner than the rest so it overcooked a bit. But DH who had same thickness pieces also said it was better. He reheated his with the dressing on, but I just did the fish covered in the microwave for 2 minutes at half power, then put the hot fish over the cold dressed spinach and added more dressing.

I am not usually crazy about proteins on a bed of greens, but this was great. The crust made out of almonds stayed put and crisped nicely. The first night I went easy on the vinaigrette for fear of making the crust soggy, but last night I put on a nice amount and it was even better. The vinaigrette recipe could easily be cut in half, but it is a nice one so we'll use for other salads.

The original recipe said to use toasted slivered almonds, but I did some with toasted sliced and found it easier to adhere. I think I'll do half and half next time. The coating could easily be made with gluten free flour instead of ap. I added a tad of cornmeal to mine. I think this would be equally great with a less expensive fish such as tilapia or cod.

Anyway another winner for Fine Cooking.
PS, their web membership gives access to not only all the magazine recipes, but also all their cookbooks and special issues.

Post subject: Re: Excellent fish recipe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 pm 

Here's another nut-crusted fish recipe. Since halibut is not in my budget, I can attest to the fact that it tastes just great with tilapia. Also, it's gluten-free, if that floats your boat.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pistachio-Crusted-Halibut-with-Spicy-Yogurt-237219