Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mamey Sapote Smoothie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 am 

Found a small mamey sapote at the local farmers market and am having a batido de mamey sapote this morning. Mamey, yogurt, milk and ice. I don't know why I don't do this for breakfast more often!

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: Mamey Sapote Smoothie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:50 am 

Learn something every day. I'd never heard of a Mamey Sapote so I looked it up. Thanks for the lesson.

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 am 

That was my mom's favorite fruit and it is my second favorite. It was one of my favorite desserts growing up. I love to eat it when it is cold, just spoon out the pulp. Unfortunately, I can not get them here, though a small store selling paletas had a mamey one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
That was my mom's favorite fruit and it is my second favorite. It was one of my favorite desserts growing up. I love to eat it when it is cold, just spoon out the pulp. Unfortunately, I can not get them here, though a small store selling paletas had a mamey one.

Alina,

I rarely find them rock hard underripe because they ripen really quickly and are pretty soft by the time they get to the farmer's market. However, if you want to PM me your address I keep an eye out and get a small one to send to you when I find one underripe enough.

I'd have to figure how to ship it... maybe in a food saver bag and then wrapped in bubble wrap?

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 pm 

I got that fruit once, not even knowing what it was, and really liked it. They were pretty ripe, and I had to sort through to find any that weren't too soft. I researched it, and finally figured out what it was. I have only gotten them twice since then, but hopefully they will beccome more available.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm 

Good article

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs362

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:48 am 

Hi Lisa, sorry for not responding sooner. DH had a sudden loss of vision in one eye and so we've been dealing with that.

As explained in the article Frank posted (thanks Frank) mameys are usually ripe in the store. I never knew there were 2 kinds. I was only familiar with the larger ones. BTW, we also had a fruit called zapotes which my dad loved, which were smaller (more of a kiwi size). I wonder if that was the smaller one mentioned in the article.

Anyway, thank you for your kind offer. CA is a bear (pun intended) when it comes to importing fruit. I know you can not bring them into CA from Mexico. Cubanfoodmarket.com has them in season (the big ones) but they can not be exported to CA, I checked.

I hope you find one of the big ones. They are awesome. Thanks again for the offer. BTW, where are you located that you find them in a store?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am 

Hi Alina, I hope your husband is okay!

The ones I find here are large softball / small football size and up. Wayyyy up. But I look for the smaller ones because I won't eat enough of the larger ones before they go overripe.

When I get them at the store they are solid, for lack of a better term. A day or three on the counter, and they get soft, about the consistency of a cooked sweet potato. That is when they are ready to eat. I was thinking if I found one that was very solid and got it in the mail immediately it might survive. ;) But not if the postal police will come after me. :)

Like this: http://en.chessbase.com/portals/4/files/news/2006/linares/morelia119.jpg

I live in western Fort Lauderdale, FL.

--Lisa