Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (not from CI)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

I just made these at 2 AM, and they're excellent! I don't know how they compare to CI's, since I've only made their "Thick and Chewy *Double/Triple* Chocolate Chip Cookies," and it's been awhile, but these are fantastic.
http://brownieboxblog.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (not from CI)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 pm 

Those look good, but I think I would have to increase the chips. There is more than half of the usual ungredients (butter, sugar, flour) found in a normal recipe, but only half of the chips. And I usually increase the chips in a normal recipe!

BTW, glad to see you had a better experience at 2AM than Alina did. :o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Those look good, but I think I would have to increase the chips. There is more than half of the usual ungredients (butter, sugar, flour) found in a normal recipe, but only half of the chips. And I usually increase the chips in a normal recipe!

BTW, glad to see you had a better experience at 2AM than Alina did. :o

You know, I thought the same thing about the chips, since I usually use more also. But, it seemed there were quite enough in this particular recipe - don't exactly know why! I did use a very generous cup, but still not near as much as I usually do.

I really liked the fact that these were not too sweet, as most chocolate chip cookies are, and yet, still had a lot of taste. The balance was perfect.

Yeah, poor Alina. I was lucky these turned out so well, since the whole day had been absolute crap up until this point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:48 am 

Those do look good. I generally prefer flatter because taller usually means more cakey, but not in these, so i will give them a try. I'd go do it now, after all it is only 12:45 am, early for me, but we still have half the cake from Friday, so in another day or so. I've been craving choco chip cookies. The great thing is that if they are not the best for me, DH will love them anyway. I will take your word and not increase the chips which I always do as well.
My favorite shortbread recipe which I learned in "cookery" school in England, calls for 8 oz. regular flour and 1 oz. cornstarch. They are not as good with 9 oz. ap flour. BTW, the original recipe said cornflour so when I shared it, the person thought it mean cornmeal instead of cornstarch. Now I rewrite all my Englilsh recipes to American terms, lol.

Thanks for the link and the review.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Those do look good. I generally prefer flatter because taller usually means more cakey, but not in these, so i will give them a try. I'd go do it now, after all it is only 12:45 am, early for me, but we still have half the cake from Friday, so in another day or so. I've been craving choco chip cookies. The great thing is that if they are not the best for me, DH will love them anyway. I will take your word and not increase the chips which I always do as well.
Thanks for the link and the review.

Alina, I prefer flatter cookies also - one of the reasons I love Thomas Keller's chocolate chip cookies - they're flat and chewy with crispy edges. However, since these particular cookies were thicker, hence, the name "thick and chewy," I slightly flattened the ones I made in the second batch after dropping by rounded Tbsp, and baked them about 9 minutes. They were perfect for me, so you may want to try that.

Another note: they never got "golden around the edges," so I just took them out of the oven after 9 minutes for the flattened ones, and about 9 1/2 - 10 minutes for the regular/unflattened ones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 am 

I've added your comments to the recipe. Since the Torres cookies, I now routinely rest most of my cookies at least overnight in the fridge, but often longer. Do you think these would benefit from the fridge?

I was going to make the melted butter recipe from Alice Medrich, DD made them while I was in Boston and they were really good. I was thinking that instead I would use browned butter instead of regular and see if that made them better. Those go in the fridge. Below is what for me so far are the perfect chocolate chip ones because they come out every time. BTW, I prefer choco chip cookies with choco chips (Guittard semi) rather than chunks. I had lost my ccc mojo and hated what I made for a few years. Then I went back to the original and now I use salted butter (Costco) and GM bleached ap, not sure if that made any difference, but when they were good again, I added a few tweaks to make them better. The result is below. I'd be interested to know what you think from the recipe. They look dark in the picture but were not burnt and were nice and chewy.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES EVER***** Cookies are soft and chewy in the center and crisp and caramelized on the edges. Will stay soft for several days.

Knead the brown sugars in the bag before measuring to remove any lumps. Cookies can be baked at 350° F convention bake or 375° F in a regular oven. Check at 9 minutes. I do not care if my scoops are rounded, so out of the disher, they are kind of flat on the bottom since I run it on the side of the bowl to try to make them even. I have 4 two-rims cookie sheets, so 2nd batch goes in cold sheets. The ones from 1st will have cooled enough if I have to do a 3rd batch. I use racks 2 and 4 in my oven. I do reuse my good parchment. Image

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Yield: Makes about 5 dozen cookies

Preparation Time: 21 minutes Cooking Time: 9 minutes Inactive Time: 71 hours and 30 minutes Total Time: 72 hours

2 cups Gold Meal all-purpose flour bleached
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
8 oz. salted butter, (2 sticks) softened Room temperature
1 TBS. maple syrup Grade A medium amber (TJ's organic).
7 TBS. granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 cups (12oz) Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or (1 cups chocolate chips and 1 cup M & Ms)

Place racks in the middle of the oven. Place parchment paper on cookie sheets.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a 4 cup glass measuring cup and whisk to mix.

Beat butter until light and fluffy, add granulated sugar, brown sugars and beat at medium high for 3 minutes, then add maple syrup and beat to mix. Add first egg and beat to mix, add second egg and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed and mixture is fluffy again, about 3 minutes.

Gradually add in flour mixture in thirds, beating on lowest setting until mixed. Stir in chips and beat to mix, stir in M&Ms if using.

Using a #50 disher, drop by rounded TBS. onto prepared baking sheet. The rounder the ball of dough the less it will spread in the oven. Put cookie dough in refrigerator for at least a few hours or up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 350° F convection bake or 375° F regular oven.

Bake for 8-10 for 350° F convection bake and between 9-11 minutes 375° F regular oven or until golden brown. If baking 2 sheets at a time in a regular oven, rotate sheets halfway. Not necessary for convection. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight tin or freeze.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts

Author: MINE
Source: Partly adapted from Toll House one at Zoe Bakes
Web Page: http://zoebakes.com/?p=140

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
...BTW, I prefer choco chip cookies with choco chips (Guittard semi) rather than chunks. ]

I bought Ghirardelli chips at Target a while back when shopping in the US (they are twice the price up here, 4.99-5.99 a bag depending on the store) and can't believe what a difference they make. They are my go to chip for cookies that are staying at home. If I'm making to send somewhere I use Chipits which is our most popular brand here and available at costco. I need to stock up on chips, am hoping that when our new Target opens (2 weeks) they will have it there at a decent price. I've never seen Guittard up here. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:21 pm 

yummm!