Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fresh Egg Noodles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm 

I've never made fresh pasta though I've had the KA attachment for a long time. It is in my bucket list for this year. Since I am making Carbonnade tomorrow (to eat on Wednesday), I thought maybe I could start with egg noodles. Are those made in the same way as other pasta, just difference amount in the ingredients and the thickness? I found this site that makes it look easy but would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fresh Egg Noodles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm 

Yes, it really is that simple. The only part I tend to forget is that the dough needs to rest before being rolled out.
Remember, pasta is found damn near everywhere there was flour and water. If noodles were complicated, fewer cultures would have them. Like dumplings, or stuff wrapped in dough, if you cook at all, sooner or later you will come up with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 pm 

Thanks Becky, I will give them a try. Had to postpone till Thursday, since I didn't get the meat cooked today. Will post results.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 am 

Becky's advice is wonderful. I would add that many pasta/noodle doughs need to be rather dry, or the end result can turn out gummy. It's a line you learn with practice.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

Alina, last spring I typed up a cheat-sheet for a friend on making fresh pasta with the KA rollers. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll PM it to you.

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 am 

Thanks Emilie, I would love it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 am 

Me too please! I found a set of grinder accessories at a thrift store for $8.00. Complete with large tray and pasta extruder plates.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 pm 

I made a batch of fresh pasta today using that new artisan bread flour. I figured that if it made a bread that tastes better, why not pasta? I don't know why I never tried this years ago, with that French flour. It was delicious; though I didn't make a side by side taste test, as with the bread, the flavor of the flour was noticeable, and everyone loved it. I made a simple fettuccini Alfredo, and served it w/o the cheese, to taste the pasta better, and served the cheese on the side. With the Plugra butter and real cream (i.e. not UP), it almost didn't need cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am 

So I finally was able to make fresh pasta last night. I ended up freezing a good portion of the Carbonnade and hope to make the egg noodles as some point. For now I made fresh fettuccine for the mystery box dinner for the C@H forum. They turned out so well. If I had known how easy it was, I'd have done it years ago.

I ended up using a very simple recipe 1 cup semolina (used Delallo) and 3/4 cup KAF ap flour, 2 x-large eggs, 1 TBS. olive oil and 1 TBS. water. I mad it in the fp, made it into a disc refrigerated it overnight, left it out to get back to room temp and followed Emilie's directions (thank you, thank you Emilie). I thought it was very good and DH loved it. The dish was not the best for fettuccine (Pasta with cabbage and bacon) but those were the ingredients I needed to use for the box.

I have some of the filling left from the stuffed mushrooms (to use other mystery box ingredients) and am thinking of making some ravioli tonight to use and then freezing them. BTW, they were the best stuffed mushrooms, another winner from Ina.

If anyone is interested the mystery box pictures are here .

I think I want to make fettuccine again, but this time make an alfredo sauce, so if anyone has a favorite I would love to have the recipe.
Thank you for the help and encouragement. I will post when I finally make the egg noodles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm 

Omg Dave...
And Alina, I'm glad your pasta came out so well.