Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boneless Short Ribs in the Pressure Cooker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 am 

I made CI's PC Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs and they were a hit. I was a little concerned about the cut of boneless short ribs I bought as they were a little thin but it didn't seem to make a difference. It was a relaxing recipe as I had over 30 minutes to do other things while the ribs were under pressure. Served with rice and asparagus it came together easily.

Post subject: Re: Boneless Short Ribs in the Pressure Cooker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:32 pm 

Thanks for the review. One of my goals for 2013 is to convert recipes to PC. DH loves short ribs so I am so glad that one worked. I copied the recipe to my LC. It does not say, but I assume they used an 8QT? I wish they had the original recipe so I could see what they did to convert it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:38 pm 

Alina, Here is it. I think it's available free on the site even to non-members but not certain.

Pressure-Cooker Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs

Published January 1, 2013.

Why this recipe works:

One of the keys to pressure-cooker success is using enough moisture to cook the food through and keep the pan from scorching but also to provide good flavor that isn’t too diluted. We decided an Asian-style sauce made with hoisin, soy sauce, and sherry would do a good job of accomplishing both goals for our boneless beef short ribs. After 30 minutes under pressure, the meat was cooked through and had released its juices to create an intensely flavored sauce. It was more sauce than we would have gotten using a conventional stovetop or oven method since there was no evaporation from the pot, but we didn’t mind having extra sauce on hand—mixed with some scallion greens and cilantro, it made an excellent match for a big bowl of steamed white rice. (less)
Serves 6
Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and smashed
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
4 scallions, white parts chopped coarse, green parts sliced thin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 (8-ounce) boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

Instructions

1. BUILD FLAVOR: Cook oil, garlic, and ginger in pressure-cooker pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, scallion whites, and cayenne, then add beef.

2. HIGH PRESSURE FOR 35 MINUTES: Lock pressure-cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 35 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure.

3. NATURALLY RELEASE PRESSURE: Remove pot from heat and allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.

4. BEFORE SERVING: Transfer short ribs to platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest while finishing sauce. Strain sauce into fat separator, let sit 5 minutes, then pour defatted sauce into small bowl. Stir scallion greens and cilantro leaves into sauce and serve with ribs.

Technique

Peeling and Smashing Ginger

We’ve found using a spoon to be an easy way to peel a knobby piece of ginger because you can easily maneuver around bumps. Adding a smashed piece of ginger at the beginning of cooking allows it to release its flavor, and the ginger is then easy to remove before serving.

1. Hold 2-inch piece of ginger firmly against cutting board and use edge of dinner spoon to scrape away skin.

2. Slice peeled ginger crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick coins, then use corner of heavy pan (or mallet) to gently smash ginger.

Troubleshooting

Can I substitute bone-in short ribs?

Yes, substitute 6 (12-ounce) bone-in english-style beef short ribs, well trimmed, for the boneless ribs. Add 3/4 cup of water to the pot with the beef in step 1 and increase the pressurized cooking time to 1 1/2 hours. After defatting the sauce in step 4, simmer the sauce as needed to thicken before serving.

What if my short ribs don’t seem tender after removing the lid?

If your short ribs don’t look quite done after the 35-minute pressurized cooking time, gently simmer them in the sauce until they are done. If the sauce thickens too much, add water as needed.

Do I need to alter the recipe for a 6-quart electric pressure cooker?

Yes, turn the cooker off immediately after the pressurized cooking time and let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes; do not let the cooker switch to the warm setting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 pm 

Hi Alina -
I skimmed your post as I was out the door to the gym and I see now I did not answer your question. I used an 8 quart PC, and I agree it would be helpful to see the traditional recipe. There are loads of PC boneless short rib recipes on the web and in my cursory reading they look different than CI's except for this one which reads remarkably similar, sans cilantro. Maybe the statute of limitations ran out for Bon Appetit recipes?! I might try it next time to compare.

Please let me know if you figure out a magic formula for converting recipes to the PC!

BTW, I'm on a roll and also tried the PC ziti sausage. Talk about easy, (and I'm certain I am the least talented cook on this board!) If you make it, choose the tomato sauce carefully. I grabbed a jar of Lydia's at the market and I thought the end product was missing a certain zesty-ness. Everyone gobbled it down though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:21 pm 

I, too, would like to know any recipes you convert. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the recipe Andrea. Here's one of my favorites. It seems complicated, but so was the original. Please note the time includes an 8 hour overnight in the fridge. The original which I posted on TOBB, took 3:35 + the overnight time. I used an old 6 qt Mirro PC.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BRAISED SHORT RIBS WITH CHOCOLATE AND ROSEMARY PC***** Servings: 6
Do not sub crushed tomatoes for diced and drained. Use a grenache-shiraz combo if possible and fresh thyme.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes Inactive Time: 8 hours Total Time: 9 hours and 30 minutes

3 TBS. olive oil
¼ cup diced pancetta (Italian bacon; about 1½ ounces)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
6 lbs. bone-in short ribs (or 4 lbs. boned)
1½ cups finely chopped onions
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
¼ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup finely chopped peeled carrots
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups low-salt chicken broth or beef broth or combo (up to 3 if needed)
2 cups chopped drained canned diced tomatoes
1 TBS. tomato paste
2 TBS. chopped fresh parsley
1 very large fresh thyme sprig or 1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
3 TBS. shaved or grated bittersweet chocolate
2 TBS. unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary

Heat pressure cooker over medium heat. Add olive oil and pancetta and sauté until crisp about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain.

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Add ribs to pot in batches, and sear in drippings over medium-high heat, until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to plate.

Meanwhile, combine the onion, shallots, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. Or use a mini food processor for each and put each veggie in a large measuring cup. and mix by hand. Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse. Add the mixture from the food processor or measuring cup to the pot.

Add wine. Boil uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 5 minutes.

Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, and pancetta. Return ribs to cooker, cover and let come to pressure at 10 lbs. Cook at medium heat or just high enough to maintain steady pressure for 25 to 30 minutes (depending on how full cooker is). Let pressure reduce naturally.

Take rosemary off stem, chop roughly and place in mini food processor. Break off pieces of the bittersweet chocolate and add, add cocoa and process until rosemary is finely chopped and so is chocolate.

Transfer ribs to storage container large enough to hold rib meat and sauce, debone and defat, then refrigerate. Discard bay leaf. Leave pot out to cool and spoon fat from surface of sauce. Boil sauce until beginning to thicken, about 5 - 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add chocolate, cocoa powder, and rosemary; stir until chocolate melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return ribs to pot. Simmer to rewarm, about 5 minutes, then return ribs and sauce to storage pot and refrigerate. It is better the next day, reheat in microwave. Freezes well.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Beef, Beef Short Ribs, Gourmet, Main Dish, Meat

Author: MINE
Source: Adapted from Giada and Bon Appetit 1/2006
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html

User Data 11 (link): http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ary-233706